Well, that was a much better and more open match than I expected!

Great opening game from the hosts, who despite rather poor opposition, showed their threat up front and attacking skills. I like how they played a fast pressing game. If they keep that up, and particularly their attack-minded and positive attitude, with the home crowd behind them too, they should do quite well.

This is certainly a much better Russian side than the boring defensive one we watched at the last World Cup!

Predictions? I'm going to reserve judgment on that one until I've seen each team play once, quite simply because, out with of the known 'superstars', I know next to nothing about most of the players. It's the first time I'll be watching the finals of a major football tournament with no real team to support (in the absence of Italy, Wales or Scotland)...

I will say though that (as usual) Germany will be there or thereabouts, and that after the last shambles I'm expecting big things from Brazil. I'd love to see a 'revenge match' between both teams, after Brazil's 7-1 humping from Germany last time, as I'm sure that such a showdown would be a cracker!!

I wish England well, as long as their fans behave and the media and commentators [and even some of the players] stop talking about their chances of winning the bloody thing, when they haven't even reached a semi-final for 28 years

Clue: if you want to gain the respect of neutrals watching (like me), rather than receive ridicule in our 'Anyone but England' T-shirts, best be a realist than a fantasist......

Anyway, let's all hope for some good, entertaining games in the weeks to come!!

Marco.