+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being born and bred in East London I hate.....

I'm Paul.

Default Being born and bred in East London I hate.....

People who have over the top Cockney accents and mannerisms. Danny Dyer springs to mind. He’s from Custom House, not far from where I grew up, but nobody I know speaks like him. Jamie Oliver went through a phase of OTT Cockney as well.

Just wondering if anyone else here feels similar about celebrities who seem to have bolt-on fake OTT parody way about them?
    ~Paul~

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    People who have over the top Cockney accents and mannerisms. Danny Dyer springs to mind. He’s from Custom House, not far from where I grew up, but nobody I know speaks like him. Jamie Oliver went through a phase of OTT Cockney as well.

Just wondering if anyone else here feels similar about celebrities who seem to have bolt-on fake OTT parody way about them?
    100%. I come from Manchester and I detest professional Mancunians. The Gallaghers are the most obvious ones, Burnage where they come from is nowhere near as rough as they make out. It's in south Manchester but Liam speaks with a north Manchester accent to sound harder.

Ian Brown too. He's from Altrincham and went to Altrincham Grammar but speaks like nobody else I know from Altrincham, which is considered fairly posh. Same goes for anybody famous from Bolton. Every one of them lays on the accent and the daft northener routine.

I suppose people just dislike it when they know it's phoney.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Cilla Black's scouse accent became stronger the longer she stayed away from there.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Cilla Black's scouse accent became stronger the longer she stayed away from there.
    I knew her mother and she didn't have a scouse accent so don't know where Cilla picked it up from.

I suppose if you are in show business you have to cultivate an image to some extent to stand out. There's a lot of competition.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

It's all affectations. Something that really does not impress me. Like blokes who wear cowboy hats and boots. I just think they look like complete tits.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's all affectations. Something that really does not impress me. Like blokes who wear cowboy hats and boots. I just think they look like complete tits.
    Except Lemmy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Except Lemmy.
    Yeah. I'll give you that one!

I'm Sean.

Wasn't Nigel Kennedy's accent completely mock - very irritating but then I don't think I've seen him on the tv in at least 10 years.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    Wasn't Nigel Kennedy's accent completely mock - very irritating but then I don't think I've seen him on the tv in at least 10 years.

Yep, completely fake; as is the whole laddish persona he projects. I reach for the 'off' button if there's any danger of hearing or seeing him. An even bigger twat than Dyer imho.

I'm Dave.

Agree totally about Danny Dyer, he really winds me up. Being a true Cockney myself, I know the accent well and I have never heard anyone sound like that and as for that incessant rhyming slang..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast