+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello all!

I'm Joe.

Default Hello all!

Hi All,

I started off into Hifi and home cinema in the 1990s and upgraded to a stage where I was happy with and then I stopped as I felt that it suited me perfectly.
    Then I moved house and a baby girl came along so more or less everything got moth balled. Then last year another house move and now that my daughter is old enough to know not to poke holes in speakers or put toast in CD players, I took everything back out and dusted it off. Especially since I had the okay to set up the sitting room as I liked it! :-)
    So I lifted the floors and ran my Cable Talk 2.1 cable that I bought in the '90s under the floor and into wall sockets (on condition that I buy new expensive new floor....)
    And to treat myself being in a position to have floor standers I bought new front speakers. :-) I also trimmed down my system drastically as a lot of my gear wasn't getting used anymore and also the new house/ room came with the condition of a new TV/ HiFi stand which has limited space...

My system was in the 1990s...
    Audiolab 8000A amp
    Yamaha DSP-E800 surround sound processor
    Marantz CD67 SE
    Aiwa tape deck (can't remember the model off the top of my head)
    Pioneer VHS recorder (can't remember the model off the top of my head)
    Philips DVD player (can't remember the model off the top of my head)
    Mordaunt Short MS10i Classics as fronts (bi-wired
    )
    Mordaunt Short MS10i as rears
    Wharfedale Valdus centre speaker
    And a ton of cable and interconnects.

So now in my new house, in my newly done up room what has changed?

Well not a lot!

The telly is now a 48 inch rather then a 21inch / 32 inch... :-)
    Audiolab 8000A amp recapped and upgraded to Stage 2, and all RCA connectors replaced by Redhill Audio
    Yamaha DSP-E800 surround sound processor
    Marantz CD67 SE (I recently bought a 1998 Arcam Alpha 9 CD player that I am in the process of refurbishing)
    (Brand new) Dali Zensor 5 as the fronts
    Mordaunt Short MS10i Classics as rears
    Wharfedale Valdus centre speaker
    Home Theatre PC with BluRay/ DVD drive/ media centre.
    And I picked up a 1987 Marantz ST-35L tuner....just because it was cheap and I never had a tuner before, and even though I can stream any radio station from the web with the home theatre PC.....I just couldn't resist the price.. ;-)
    And the same cable and interconnects that I bought 20 years ago. :-)

Anyway, that was a long winded hello! ;-)
    Last edited by Smoking Joe; 14-06-2018 at 08:06.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Joe. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and what future plans you may have for your Hi-Fi if any.

There's a lot going on here, so I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you. Just join in.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hello Joe. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and what future plans you may have for your Hi-Fi if any.

There's a lot going on here, so I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you. Just join in.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

Thanks Geoff. Well I watch alot of movies and TV shows through it so use Dolby Digital/ DTS alot. But my main point of HiFi is of course music. I listen to mostly to rock/ heavy metal*/ some classical.

*since I'm stuck in the past my heavy metal is more like rock now.

Santanna, The Doors, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Cold War Kids, Alabama 3, Thin Lizzy, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Alt J, and 1970s Disco (my dirty little secret)! ;-)

My plans......well my main system now with my new Dalis is as I want it. I really don't feel the need to upgrade. And apart from that I am stuck as there are no separate DSP made anymore. So if I want to combine my stereo music and AV it would mean a change to a complete all in one AV amp. And then would it be up to the same standard as my plain Jane Audiolab?
    But I have a plan for a second "dinning room system". I have picked up another Audiolab 8000A, but a newer version, and which was recapped about 6 years ago. I got it at a really good price.
    So my plan is to finish refurbishing the Alpha 9 CD player, swap that out with my Marantz. Then swap out the MS10i Classis with the standard MS10is. The Classics are really wasted as rears.
    So then in the dining room set up a small system as:
    Audiolab 8000A
    Martantz CD-67SE
    Mordaunt Short MS10i Classic

And more importantly, the missus is all okay with it! :-)
    Last edited by Smoking Joe; 14-06-2018 at 09:25.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Joe,

Nice introduction - enjoy your system in its new home.
    Barry

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS Joe,

Nice introduction - enjoy your system in its new home.
    Thanks Barry! :-)

+ Reply to Thread