+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: DSP active crossover

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    i seem to have missed your reply until now.
    They are super X pro cx3400 2way 3 way stereo and 4 way mono and cx2310 2way and 3way , xlr inputs and outputs but I have xlr adaptors. I'm in Gravesend

Cheers Paul. Let me keep this in mind please, in particular the cx3400. For now still playing around in the all digital domain and want to explore room correction filters next. Clearly the main advantage of the Behringers is that no computer required and a much more intuitive way of doing things.

There was a guy at the last Scalford show (in 2017) that used 3-way Behringers in an active setup which sounded brilliant. Was that you?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Steve.

Was that the raving louny monster horn project at Scalford? Perhaps that was earlier though.

I took my S2 Vitavox and Raal tweeters as my contribution.
    I had lugged all my gear there before so didn't feel like any more

Pete who had the modded 2 Berhringers for 5way, for that setup ditched them in favour of Najda very shortly after

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Cheers Paul. Let me keep this in mind please, in particular the cx3400. For now still playing around in the all digital domain and want to explore room correction filters next. Clearly the main advantage of the Behringers is that no computer required and a much more intuitive way of doing things.

There was a guy at the last Scalford show (in 2017) that used 3-way Behringers in an active setup which sounded brilliant. Was that you?
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Magna Audio View Post
    Was that the raving louny monster horn project at Scalford? Perhaps that was earlier though.

I took my S2 Vitavox and Raal tweeters as my contribution.
    I had lugged all my gear there before so didn't feel like any more

Pete who had the modded 2 Berhringers for 5way, for that setup ditched them in favour of Najda very shortly after
    Yes I think it was a guy called Pete. If memory serves he was using multiple Quad amps driving some English speakers (Graham Audio?). Don't recall your multiple horn set up. Perhaps it was an earlier year.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

no, haven't been to scalford for a few years now. All the original horn guys, Steve included, were in the early days of scalford. I think you need to be careful with room correction, it can take the life out of the music. All this transparent accurate bollocks doesn't always work best.

I got the behringers out earlier and they are mint, only used them briefly before getting the deqx. Still in the plastic bags in the boxes.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Edward.

Yes someone warned me about the dastardly impact room correction can have. Also a warning that the filters created can try correct things that speakers simply are not able to correct possibly damaging them.

But its all enjoyment and learning for me. I ain't going to rewire the Tannoys or other better speakers I have (for now )

I'm James.

I agree with Paul to the extent that rather small changes in DSP can be surprisingly large in terms of presentation and enjoyment.

Never the less the only component that doesn't leave my system is a DEQX 3.0.
    I think the best thing is to make small incremental changes, document them rigorously so you can undo/revisit them, and give any changes a few hours to settle in at first (a few days as you get closer to what you're after) .

There's a strong tendency to tweak and fiddle non stop, it's so easy to do, but there lies madness and frustration. .

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Edward.

Thanks James. Good advice. Certainly the presentation differs markedly even with small changes - for example crossing over at 500Hz instead of 800Hz (which is what the passive crossover is set for on the bass). The software allows one to save DSP profiles which comes in handy.

Not had much playing around so far. Experienced a bit of distortion earlier which I need to track down. Have plenty of DSP headroom and clipping controls all turned on so I suspect a connection somewhere. Will troubleshoot by switching off all channels and working forward one at a time. All good learning.

Did a bit of digging around Roon and all of this is doable there. In fact seems more intuitive and a big bonus is that the crossovers and slopes are graphically shown with the points and slopes 'draggable' to change values. So I may transfer over to Roon first before doing more experimenting.

I'm Geoff.

Are you experimenting with the phase relationship between the drivers at all Edward? It varies with frequency.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Are you experimenting with the phase relationship between the drivers at all Edward? It varies with frequency.
    Well I understand the concept broadly and obviously would like to mitigate/minimise the smearing effect due to phase shifting. However I have yet to establish how to measure and then change timing within the software. I guess I could do it simply by hearing using an audio track which contains short sharp full frequency sounds and tuning each driver with positive or negative timings to get to an in-focus sound. But always keen/receptive to to get tips.

I'm Edward.

This is a Roon view of an active crossover (here 12Hz, 800Hz and 5000Hz). The actual implementation will be slightly different as it needs to be done per channel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast