Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
Thanks Russell

Certainly not a mile away, it is precisely what I'm trying to achieve. The big difference in my plan is it is just for fun but primarily I will be doing it on the cheap. Essentially I will take a USB feed from a computer and go into a cheap multi-channel DAC (stuff they use everyday in gaming rigs) and from there to a multi-channel amp. From there I will take 3 stereo pairs and drive the 3-way drivers in Goodmans Magnum K2s. Within the computer there will be a digital cross-over such that the feed to the DAC will have 3 stereo pairs. That is the first step.

As a second step, assuming the first step is fine, I will do room correction via REW (as per your link) and a mic. As I understand it REW will create a FIR filter which I can inject into my software.

Looking at my costs (I consider the computer, software, multi-channel amp, cabling and speakers free as I already have them) the biggest cost will actually be the banana plugs, binding posts and DAC. That should be about £100 - so a cheap(ish) experiment. Not sure what I will do with it all once I have done it as my main system are more than adequate.
So, if you’ve got the multi channel amp, and a computer, that’s a major head start!

You could get by cheaper with my scenario by buying a Behringer digital crossover, used. And a calibration mic, you may even find one used? But I’ve seen new ones for $35. And as I was searching for the software, like the one I referred to, I see a lot of versions that were free for download. How much they will do? I guess you’d have to try a few. So, a used Behringer digital crossover may not be more than $100? These digital DSP’s have 24bit processing and run exceedingly quiet. The DBX brand is more feature rich, but one of the articles I read about used the Behringer with great success.

But you sound like you’ve got a handle on it! I was not aware that there were DAC’s that you could control with a computer to create crossover points? It sounds very interesting!

Of course, you will have to keep us updated as you go, with photos and listening impressions. To educate the masses!

Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk