So I'm mulling over doing a new project. Specifically a 3-way active DSP crossover. Was wondering if someone has done something similar or can provide any hints/warnings etc.

I already have most of the main items, the balance are relatively cheap to get.

Idea is to use Magnum K2s I have lurking here (given to me by Tom of this parish) driven by a Sony 7.1 AV amp (another item that is lurking). DSP will be via JRiver's parametric equaliser.

So this 3-way digital crossover signal path will be something like this:

Digital source (flac etc) > Windows 10 machine > JRiver > Parametric EQ > USB > multi-channel DAC (e.g. Xonar) using 6 of the available channels > Sony AV amp (6 ch. in > 6 ch. out) > Magnum K2.

In terms of the Magnum's I would simply take the existing passive crossovers offline and connect up each driver (bass, mid and HF) to the corresponding speaker output of the AV amp. I would protect the tweeters and probably also the midrange drivers with capacitors (just in case I muck up the DSP/DAC mappings). What I'm not sure of yet is how I place such caps (serial or parallel?) and what capacity caps I should use?

In terms of the parametric EQ I would create suitable low and high pass filters and map those to the relevant DAC ports. What I'm not clear about is where I would set the low and high pass points. I guess I could start with whatever cross over points are already used in the passive setup? Or perhaps it does not matter as long as I'm in the general area and get the roll off slopes correct?

Later on, assuming this all works, I could do some room correction I guess. Using something like REW and implementing a filter within JRiver?

This is just a 'fun' project. Not sure what the eventual SQ will be like, but judging from other forums could be quite nice. Certainly the Magnum K2 12 inch bass drivers can move vast amounts of air.