+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSP active crossover

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Thanks Russell

Certainly not a mile away, it is precisely what I'm trying to achieve. The big difference in my plan is it is just for fun but primarily I will be doing it on the cheap. Essentially I will take a USB feed from a computer and go into a cheap multi-channel DAC (stuff they use everyday in gaming rigs) and from there to a multi-channel amp. From there I will take 3 stereo pairs and drive the 3-way drivers in Goodmans Magnum K2s. Within the computer there will be a digital cross-over such that the feed to the DAC will have 3 stereo pairs. That is the first step.

As a second step, assuming the first step is fine, I will do room correction via REW (as per your link) and a mic. As I understand it REW will create a FIR filter which I can inject into my software.

Looking at my costs (I consider the computer, software, multi-channel amp, cabling and speakers free as I already have them) the biggest cost will actually be the banana plugs, binding posts and DAC. That should be about £100 - so a cheap(ish) experiment. Not sure what I will do with it all once I have done it as my main system are more than adequate.
    So, if youíve got the multi channel amp, and a computer, thatís a major head start!

You could get by cheaper with my scenario by buying a Behringer digital crossover, used. And a calibration mic, you may even find one used? But Iíve seen new ones for $35. And as I was searching for the software, like the one I referred to, I see a lot of versions that were free for download. How much they will do? I guess youíd have to try a few. So, a used Behringer digital crossover may not be more than $100? These digital DSPís have 24bit processing and run exceedingly quiet. The DBX brand is more feature rich, but one of the articles I read about used the Behringer with great success.

But you sound like youíve got a handle on it! I was not aware that there were DACís that you could control with a computer to create crossover points? It sounds very interesting!

Of course, you will have to keep us updated as you go, with photos and listening impressions. To educate the masses!

Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    So, if you’ve got the multi channel amp, and a computer, that’s a major head start!

You could get by cheaper with my scenario by buying a Behringer digital crossover, used. And a calibration mic, you may even find one used? But I’ve seen new ones for $35. And as I was searching for the software, like the one I referred to, I see a lot of versions that were free for download. How much they will do? I guess you’d have to try a few. So, a used Behringer digital crossover may not be more than $100? These digital DSP’s have 24bit processing and run exceedingly quiet. The DBX brand is more feature rich, but one of the articles I read about used the Behringer with great success.

But you sound like you’ve got a handle on it! I was not aware that there were DAC’s that you could control with a computer to create crossover points? It sounds very interesting!

Of course, you will have to keep us updated as you go, with photos and listening impressions. To educate the masses!

Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh I'm just part of the masses Russell, learning as I go along. Mostly making mistakes.

Speaking of Behringers a mate has one to semi-actively drive his speakers. In his case he is driving the bass of his XTZ Divine Alphas (costing thousands) with a cheap Beheringer. So what with the addition of another stereo amp and tuning of the xover point the bass has vastly improved. In fact it is this improvement that is part of what inspires me to try things out - but in my case focusing on lower end stuff and full digital xovers.

Got to pull the trigger on the remaining bits of pieces. Just deciding if I go with spades or bananas. Probably just bare wire and cable couplings for now.
    Source: Win10 server, Win10 Mini-ITX Renderer running JRiver & Tidal/Roon
    DAC / Preamp: Perreaux DP32, Secondary DAC:
    Chevron Paradox
    Amp: Radford Revival STA25, TubeHunter Class D IRS2092
    Speakers:, Tannoy Eatons, Kudos Cardea C2, BatPure Supertweeters (and others)
    Power Conditioner: ISOtek Qube 1k
    Currently resting: Radford Revival Prototype preamp, Paul Baldwin 405C amp, PMC LB1 Signature

I'm paul.

I had one of the early deqx units pdc 2.6, bought it ex demo £600 and sold it later for £700, a rare occasion where I didn't lose money. Great bit of kit. I now use Najda dsp, bought for future projects but used in my office set up as a Dac, very good Dac it has too.

I have some behringer analogue crossovers you could try, one is a 3 way the other a 2 way. I used them early on in my horn build. Easy to use, just twiddle the knobs to the desired crossover point.
    Sony STR 6055 Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 Zu omen

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons Najda dsp as dac Akai AM-U02 Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable
    SAE1000LT leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck and full range drivers in free air

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12