+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: DSP active crossover

I'm Edward.

Small problem. How do I get into my Goodman Magnum K2s?

Obviously I can from the front via the drivers but no room to work that way.

The rear is locked down with glue and stuff. Should I just go for it with a Stanley knife and lever the rear off with force? I'd rather do this neatly. After all the speakers are super valuable. Got them for £20 I think.

Via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Based on some personal feedback and helpful tuition from Lawrence he says I should not open the rear but instead do all necessary work via the driver holes. So that is what I will do, firstly remove/desolder all the drivers and then the wadding. Need to find some time.

Watch this space.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Some progress

Removed old crossovers and wired up speaker drivers for direct input.

Some more pics of the Magnum K2 revision here.

I'm Steve.

Looking good
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Lawrence.

Yep good work Edward.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Edward.

All working!

Managed to find some time to wire and plug it all in. (takes ages stripping 24 speaker wires you know).

Incredible change in sound. Fresh, open, natural sound - very coherent with lots of scale. Good texture.

So going active from passive presents lots of nice opportunities to try things out.

Just as a reminder I rewired a pair of old Goodman Magnum K2s (3 drivers each) to accept direct feeds to each driver from the amp channels. The active crossovers done within JRiver using various parametric equalizer functions. Amp duties done via 6 channels of a Sony AV amp. DAC is an Asus Xonar. The speakers are old (late 70s probably) with original caps so the active xovers replaces and freshens up things nicely.

So started with xovers points at 800hz/5000hz and played around (e.g. 300hz/4000hz, 1500/4500). Subtle differences in presentation. Need to spend more time to verbalise what differences these give.

Next steps: Find a calibrated microphone to create a room correction filter. Research trying all this via Roon.

Ultimately of course the sound is held back by the speakers - whilst great the K2s were never start of the art in the first place.

Still, all very interesting and educational.

I'm Geoff.

Looks like you're having fun.

Those tweeters are OK down to 3kHz by the way, as long as the slope is steep and you don't go bonkers with power.

I'm Edward.

Yes tis good fun Geoff. This whole project forces me to understand new interesting stuff. Room correction via FIR filters will be another deep dive.

Re the tweeters. Did not know they went down to 3kHz. Currently protecting them with 4.7uF caps so protected at about 4kHz. I could easily change the caps to protect them at say 2.5kHz.

I may swap out the K2 bass drivers with the Coral ones I have. Need to work out how to easily reduce the baffles from 12 inch to 10 inch. Probably just get some MDF and mount that on the existing 12 inch bolts so easily reversible.

But I don't reckon I will be using this project on a permanent basis - the Eatons driven by the Sugden still takes a hell of a lot to beat for sheer utter enjoyment.

I'm Geoff.

The Corals are best in ported cabinets. That's what they were designed for. I think you'd find the bass extension curtailed in the Magnum cabinets. They would probably give good enough results in big sealed boxes, but those would have to be maybe twice the size of the Magnums.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Hi Paul, that is very generous of you. This may also be very interesting indeed. I'm inclined to try the full digital idea as a priority but perhaps I can try the Behringer's as well. After all I will have sufficient multi amp channels so it would be simply taking the computer and DAC offline and rerouting as required. What model Behringers are they and whereabouts are you? Feel free to use PM.

I have a friend who uses Behringer's in a semi active form (I think I mentioned this in this thread already) to grewat effect.
    i seem to have missed your reply until now.
    They are super X pro cx3400 2way 3 way stereo and 4 way mono and cx2310 2way and 3way , xlr inputs and outputs but I have xlr adaptors. I'm in Gravesend
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast