+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's In to ZZ Top?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    They did a great gig at Glastonbuy a couple of years back. Billy Gibbons is certainly a dude and really like his laid back playing.

Yep TV dinners is a great bit of music. Bought Eliminator again on vinyl recently just for this track.
    You're a man of taste. And that Glastonbury performance is one of the best I've seen. He pulls out the stops a bit for that one compared to some of the other live performances that are out there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I saw them live at Donington in 1985. It was at the height of their 'Eliminator' popularity.

Their arrival was announced by a helicopter flying over the venue with that hot rod dangling from it (I bet health and Safety would have something to say about that these days).

They were just brilliant, and probably the loudest band I've ever heard, especially considering it was outdoors. A good day out for rock fans I think, supported by Marillion, Metallica and Magnum.

At that time, Frank Beard was the only one without one
    You missed Bon Jovi, who were on before Marillion.
    And Ratt ....

Marillion were rubbish, and Metallica had yet to record their first (and possibly only) decent album ....
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I left out the albums that are an acquired taste. I don't even think the band themselves were that keen how on RGM turned out.
    You missed out half of the decent stuff they recorded.
    Fandango ...
    Tejas .....
    El Loco ....

and then, when you should have stopped at Eliminator, you went on to mention stuff post Eliminator.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

'Afterburner' is as good as 'Eliminator', just different. How can you not rate it? And 'Recycler' is just the whole schtick taken to an extreme. Which I like.

I do have all the other albums except the most recent one and I do like them, just not as much as the ones I mentioned.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

I like La Futura.

Why? Just check out the sound of the guitar amps on it. Some of the best valve distortion I have ever heard recorded. Proof of just how good a great valve circuit can sound when running into extreme overload.

Someone will spoil this post by telling me it was done by other means. But I hope and believe it wasn't.

Most awesome moment? End of Chartreuse and slipping into Consumption. Play at at least 11, maybe twelve, after a few beers to see what I mean.

I'm Russell.

I am a huge ZZ Top fan! I’ve seen them in concert 6 times! And it’s always a party atmosphere, they really get the crowd going! And even though they may be perceived as a Southern Rock type band, which they really aren’t, they always had the ultimate light show, laser show, dancing girls! Awesome entertainers.

My first exposure to them was a scratchy old copy of Fandango I got from my older sister at age 14. At 16 I bought the Degualo album, and I swear it stayed on my record player for a month! I played it every day, a whole week before I flipped it over!

Since then, I’ve collected many of their albums, not all. Tajas is one of my favorites, and the last song, Asleep in the Dessert, is special to me for some reason, it’s as the name implies, a sleepy little song that is so well executed. But I can’t pick a favorite, there’s just too many great songs to choose from.

At one concert, I was just married, my wife up on my shoulders, and I saw everyone in the band look right at us with big eyes and bigger smiles! Billy stopped and pointed! I look up to see my wife showing her titties to the boys, she was always so shy, I didn’t think she had it in her. I wasn’t mad. Kind of proud in a way!

Russell

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    They did a great gig at Glastonbuy a couple of years back. Billy Gibbons is certainly a dude and really like his laid back playing.

Yep TV dinners is a great bit of music. Bought Eliminator again on vinyl recently just for this track.
    Yes they did, I was there, was the highlight of the festival for me.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

They are one of those outfits Ive never given a fair chance to. When Gimme all your lovin and legs were played to death on the radio I tended to form my judgement on those singles and never moved past that.

The may well be an album I really like...maybe.... maybe not but Ive never given them a fair trial

I'm Russell.

https://youtu.be/MCBYpv8MmtY

Something different....

Russ

I'm Hugh.

I don't have a problem with the beards, but all their music sounds the same to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast