+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who's In to ZZ Top?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    No RGM?
    I left out the albums that are an acquired taste. I don't even think the band themselves were that keen how on RGM turned out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

'Nasty Dogs and Funky kings' is still my favourite ZZ Top track. It's short, mean and powerful! Perfect!!

I'm Steve.

I saw them live at Donington in 1985. It was at the height of their 'Eliminator' popularity.

Their arrival was announced by a helicopter flying over the venue with that hot rod dangling from it (I bet health and Safety would have something to say about that these days).

They were just brilliant, and probably the loudest band I've ever heard, especially considering it was outdoors. A good day out for rock fans I think, supported by Marillion, Metallica and Magnum.

At that time, Frank Beard was the only one without one
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I saw them live at Donington in 1985. It was at the height of their 'Eliminator' popularity.

Their arrival was announced by a helicopter flying over the venue with that hot rod dangling from it (I bet health and Safety would have something to say about that these days).

They were just brilliant, and probably the loudest band I've ever heard, especially considering it was outdoors. A good day out for rock fans I think, supported by Marillion, Metallica and Magnum.

At that time, Frank Beard was the only one without one
    You missed Bon Jovi, who were on before Marillion.
    And Ratt ....

Marillion were rubbish, and Metallica had yet to record their first (and possibly only) decent album ....
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    You missed Bon Jovi, who were on before Marillion.
    And Ratt ....

Marillion were rubbish, and Metallica had yet to record their first (and possibly only) decent album ....
    I only remember the names that began with 'M', and I was a bit dazed and confused that day. I agree about Marillion. I didn't see much of them, I went for a shit or something.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    'Nasty Dogs and Funky kings' is still my favourite ZZ Top track. It's short, mean and powerful! Perfect!!
    That has got the kick to it, no doubt. Probably shouldn't have left 'Fandango' out actually, but it's not one to start with I don't think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That has got the kick to it, no doubt. Probably shouldn't have left 'Fandango' out actually, but it's not one to start with I don't think.
    Just played it. Wicked !

Here's a YouTube link if anybody doesn't know it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WNoG4pf6I

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I left out the albums that are an acquired taste. I don't even think the band themselves were that keen how on RGM turned out.
    You missed out half of the decent stuff they recorded.
    Fandango ...
    Tejas .....
    El Loco ....

and then, when you should have stopped at Eliminator, you went on to mention stuff post Eliminator.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread