+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: System improvement options

I'm Steve.

The best I've heard most MA speakers is with valve amplification. They just seem to work really well together.

I'm Justin.

Default ..

I once auditioned some PMC20.21s with a Naim Nait 5si and an Audiolab 8300a, and I found the Audiolab light years ahead in terms of enjoyability. The Naim was a bit shouty, whereas the Audiolab & PMC combo produced a sweeter sound, but that was just my personal experience/preferences.

However, Stereophile did a review on the Creek Destiny amp and said it paired amazingly well with the Monitor Audio Silver RS6 which I imagine shares some characteristics with the later RX6. The reviewer was so taken by the performance he bought the amp for himself... https://www.stereophile.com/content/...plifier-page-2
    Yamaha NP-S303 / Audiolab 6000cdt
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

I'm Luis.

I do also find the Audiolab to be very flat. Maybe sometimes a bit blend.

The pairing with the MA works wonderfully for jazz. When it comes to rock is not that good. Almost all my friends agree with me. Also works wonderfully with fado, but many of you dont know it so it is not a refrence.

With indie, the music style I listen the most, I would prefer a bit more bunch.

Anyway I believe the system should play everything well and not just one music style. Dont want and dont need that kind of handicap.

I will try to audition that creek. Is it a new one or an older model?

Anyway I was trying to get some excit

Enviado do meu HTC_M10h através do Tapatalk

I'm Justin.

I think the Creek Destiny was replaced by the Evo 50 and 100 models.
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Mac View Post
    However, Stereophile did a review on the Creek Destiny amp and said it paired amazingly well with the Monitor Audio Silver RS6 which I imagine shares some characteristics with the later RX6. The reviewer was so taken by the performance he bought the amp for himself... https://www.stereophile.com/content/...plifier-page-2
    The Creek Destiny 2 is remarkable. I've tried one and thought it had the best of everything and no negatives that I could hear. The previous Destiny (1?) apparently offers much the same.

The Destiny 2 is now discontinued, but I'd love to own one. A good second hand one should be around £750 to £950 depending on where you buy.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Creek Destiny 2 is remarkable. I've tried one and thought it had the best of everything and no negatives that I could hear. The previous Destiny (1?) apparently offers much the same.

The Destiny 2 is now discontinued, but I'd love to own one. A good second hand one should be around £750 to £950 depending on where you buy.
    I sometimes contemplate swapping it for a Yamaha A-S1100/2100, CA1010, or even a vintage Luxman for the looks...but I fear it would be a drop in sound quality, besides I kinda like my Creek’s abilities. So my next move will be to grace my amp with some “better” speakers than what I have.
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

I'm Martin.

What are you thinking of getting then Justin? Speakers are by far the most interesting component IMV.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What are you thinking of getting then Justin? Speakers are by far the most interesting component IMV.
    The million dollar question!! Well, my room is 3.2m x 4.4m so humongous floorstanders are out... I fancy trying Neat Iota Alphas, PMC20.22, Neat SX2, Spendor A1 & A5r & S6e.... But going on what I’ve read about my amp and my own limited experience I think I should maybe try out some speakers that have a slightly brighter nature Kudos X2, Tannoy XT6F or some MA’s. However, I’m open to trying anything!!

I did audition some KEF R300 but in my room the bass was way too much, even with the bungs in place.
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

I'm Martin.

That room is a drawback for size, I've had rooms of similar size in the past and there is a limit to what you can get away with. Big Tannoy dual concentrics will work if you want to go large, just get the cab that suits the room in terms of bass extension. You'll still get the scale of a big speaker and they won't set off the room nodes.

Or you could consider Yamaha NS1000M. They need to be used quite close to the wall for the right balance, which suits a smaller room, and they don't have deep enough bass to get your room going, and they are a proper high end speaker that can still be had for reasonable money.

You Creek amp would be fine with either, I reckon.

Anyway, you'll get a million other suggestions no doubt
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Err ... isn't this a bit rude chaps?
    Luis was asking about his own system ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast