+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phono stage advice

I'm Erikas.

Default Phono stage advice

Hello,

I'm after phono stage for Hana SL low output MC cart.. The original budget was around £600 for second hand unit, but have no idea what to get...Really could stretch my budget. I'm used to own Whest Two (1 gen) and was quite happy wit it..But upgrade would be nice.. Any suggestions please? There are some links for more expensive units..is it worth attention?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rrp-1-800....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Dynavector-....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rrp-1-400...MAAOSwO9JaMyc8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-End-....c100167.m2940

I'm Richie.

I’m using a tron convergence. Only tried it thorough the tron and some hashimoto suts. Preferred the tron, probably due to the 470R v 120R of the sut.

Not much help, sorry.

I'm Charlie.

Another vote for the TRON Convergence. Excellent sound quality and stellar build. If you don't mind travelling round the M25 to near Uxbridge J1 M40, you could have a listen.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm jamie.

Nakamichi ca-5 gets my vote, it has a very good mm/mc phono stage
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Kevin.

I ran my Hana SL through my Firebottle KIN and it sounded very good. The Vivant is essentially the same phonostage, although standalone and performs well.

The best bet is to try and borrow something you fancy and listen to it in your system.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Brook.

I would have thought it a better idea to find a phono stage that works with a range of cartridges rather than the other way round, it is certainly my experience the better way of going about it. Sure any stage should be versatile enough to do that, but it is not always the case.
    In terms of the examples you have linked to I feel you can get better value for your money too. For instance if you went for the Nakamichi you wouldn't need your current pre so that could cause a mis-match somewhere in your system; yes you could use it purely as a phono stage but that introduces another box when wisdom usually dictates a shorter path is best.
    A am a fan of Unison stuff in general but that phono stage hasn't changed much since it was £500 new, albeit without the power supply. I am not knocking them per se, just offering a different perspective.

I'm John.

I'm also running a Hana SL, originally via an Icon Audio PS3.SE, but I now run it via an MFA SUT direct into the MM stage in my pre.
    Whilst the Hana will sound more than respectable into the standard 100 Ohm load offered by most MC stages, it absolutely shines when given the recommended 400+ Ohms, I currently run mine on the 470 Ohm on the MFA and it's a revalation.
    If you already have an mm stage then get yourself a straight 10:1 SUT and you will be laughing.
    If your anywhere near the South Coast your more than welcome to listen to my hana/SUT combo to see what you get.

I'm Erikas.

Thanks guys for the response.. Currently I have no phono stage at all and looking what is currently for sale on the second hand market...If you see anything to consider please drop me a link..It is really not fun to have TT and the records without being able to listen them..and keeping buying new records doesn't help at all)

+ Reply to Thread