+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello...

I'm chris.

Default Hello...

Just a few works to describe my "Hi-Fi Journey" which began in my teens with some listening to other peoples systems. Most notably at the time was a Quad 33/303, ELS 57, a Garrard 405 with SME tracking something I cannot remember, but I do remember being most impressed. Further listening at the time included some well constructed tape recorders and being involved in some recording work. One thing and another, and I purchased a second hand Leak Stereo 20 with varioslope preamp at an affordable price, fed in the first place with a Garrard SP25, with a B&O cartridge. I built some Wharfdale kit speakers in the kitchen much to the annoyance of dad who objected to the chipboard dust (which later in life I describe as toxic and would ban from any workshop). Sometime I had heard some Rogers speakers, and I scoured the second hand adds in the local papers and local Hi-Fi shop until eventually I found a pair, and they were installed in my system, replacing the Wharfdales. Via further Leak equipment and Mitchel turntables the journey led one way and another to a system of Alphason Sonata turntable, Atlas psu, Alphason HR100 MCS tonearm, Audio Technicia AT OC7 cartridge, Naim 62s/140/HiCap/NAT 02, the Rogers BBC Studio Export Monitors, a pair of LS3/5a, oh, and I got a Meridan 208B CD player. All this has been purchased second hand over many years as I could never afford new pricing and I was prepared to wait. Still, it is frightening to tot up the investment!!
    Last edited by pyeman; 12-06-2018 at 21:55.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Chris. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you've been at this game since the seventies. Your current system largely qualifies as 'vintage', which can be a good thing. Many of us enjoy older equipment.

Tell us what music you listen to and what future plans you may have for your system if any.

This is a friendly place and I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you, so just join in and chat with everybody.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Grant.

hi Chris. welcome to aos. good intro, hope you enjoy the site
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Chris,

Nice introduction - you have certainly been exposed to some of the best equipment made in this country, and have ended with a very good system yourself.

Quite a few of us here use 'vintage' (or should that be 'classic'?) second hand gear; I think that at least 95% of my system consists of used items.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Welcome to AOS, Chris.

Love vintage kit. Enjoy!

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm chris.

Default Music I enjoy...

Just to add to the notes, my music is some classical, but mostly folk, English, Irish and Scottish traditional, and some Blues. And I listen to FM radio broadcasts.

+ Reply to Thread