+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Allo Kali

I'm Ken.

Default Allo Kali

Hi Andre

I emailed you on the 8th, used the link in the drop down menu when clicking on your forum name, first time I've used this, so maybe I did it wrong if you didn't receive it.

Anyway I've moved my question here from the thread about the RPi case.

What is the 6 pin header "JTAG" on the top face of the Kali used for?
    I can't find reference to it anywhere.

I'm allo.

hi
    i PMed yo my email.
    about the jtag, 6pin header JTAG for firmware flashing connector (use only in production)

thanks

I'm Ken.

Ok, I just wondered if the JTAG was additional I2S output connections.
    Production use only is ok, just trying to get a feel for what everything does on the board.

I want to use a Kali with an Odroid C2.
    This is not GPIO pin compatible as the Odroid C2 has a separate 7 pin I2S header.
    I will need to mount the Kali next to the C2 board anyway, as I will be using a tall heat sink that prevents the use of "HAT" boards on the C2.
    Looking at the pin outs for both boards it seems a pretty straight forward job to wire the I2S and power the C2 from the Kali.
    The Kali I2S output will go through a line driver circuit and HDMI socket as per PS Audio design and feed a PS Audio DAC with the I2S signal.
    If I can think of anything else or get stuck I will come back to you.

I'm allo.

hi
    the KALI is not Odroid compatible...
    only our Sparky and RPI

regards

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLO.com View Post
    hi
    the KALI is not Odroid compatible...
    only our Sparky and RPI

regards
    Hi Andre
    Just caught this message, been off grid.

What is not compatible?

I realize that the GPIO connectors uses different pinouts, but I will be mounting the Odroid/Kali boards side by side and not as a "HAT" configuration.
    Surely, Data/BCK/WCK i2s connections are all that the Kali requires and these can simply be taken from the Odroid i2s output socket using jumper wires?

Neither the RPi or Sparky meet the hardware/software requirements for my project, which are: 2GB DDR3 SDRAM, Gigabit Ethernet, 128GB eMMC data storage and the ability to run Kodi with its Qobuz Add on.

Yes, a bit of thought is required, but isn't that the reason SBC's exist?

This Volumio thread has several people including "allo" (may not be you?) saying Odroid C2 and Kali work well together

https://volumio.org/forum/allo-kali-odroid-t5094.html

I'm allo.

standard I2S connections can connect to KALI , I am not sure about Odroid i2s pin outs and configurations.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLO.com View Post
    standard I2S connections can connect to KALI , I am not sure about Odroid i2s pin outs and configurations.
    Not a problem, I have the full pin out diagrams for the Odroid C2 and Kali, also for an Audio-GD balanced line driver, that will allow the i2s output from the Kali to operate over greater distances using HDMI cable/sockets to feed an external DAC.

When I get all this working, I will start a separate DIY thread on how it all connects up, as this arrangement will allow the Kali output to work with an external Audio-GD or PS Audio DAC using their i2s (HDMI) inputs. Or for that matter, any other DAC, that has adopted PS Audio's i2s over HDMI cable system. This method does not use the HDMI interface, just the cable/socket hardware as a method of sending i2s signals.

It's a project, and outside of what the Kali was originally intended for. But if I can prove it works, it might make the Kali of interest to others wanting to use a high quality i2s digital feed and also show its ability to work with a larger selection of SBC's.

I will let you know how I get on.

I'm allo.

awesome !
    if you bump into any issues that we can help with, dont hesitate to reach out to me.
    in case your project gathers an audience and there is an interest for purchasing KALIs, I will offer your fans a discount.
    regards
    Andre

I'm Ken.

+ Reply to Thread