+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those were the days..pdf of old hifi ads - lskys etc.

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I was interested in the Lasky's ad., as I worked in the Tottenham Court Rd. branch. Unfortunately, the ad. shown was of the Edgware Rd. branch which was more electronics than hifi. Couldn't see Imhof's there; now that was a real emporium !

My audiophile friend can only sleep on stacks of hifi mag's but he does have lots of back issues.
    Blimey, Mike - you might have sold me my first 'serious' loudspeakers circa 1974 - 75, a pair of Wharfedale Dovedale SPs. Can't remember what I paid, but it seemed a lot at the time. Particularly given that I was only earning around £20.00 a week (gross) at the time.

Jon

I'm Dennis.

I can see a sadness in the loss of amateur involvement/personal hobby commitment, but the main feeling is one relating to the extreme sociological changes reflected in those ads., very rudimentary diagrams etc.

Now we have glossy expensive pre-built, and reviews praising everything as a breakthrough at costs of many £ks.

Don't forget the Nelson Jones FM tuner, and Bailey's transmission line speakers.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Exactly
    I think the earliest Wireless world I have is dated 1928!
    A...
    I too have a lot of early mags . The earliest being a radio times from 1922. There was very little being broadcast, just evenings. Surprisingly there are a lot of valve and component adverts. Some complete radios where terrace house money
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Martin.

Currently reading an issue of Hi Fidelity from 1979. The ads are great, really hard sell. I bet you didn't know that the Phillip's 'Series 7' turntables were designed 'without compromise.' Why are we not still using them?
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

I'm Martin.

And whatever happened to tape decks? I miss tape decks.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And whatever happened to tape decks? I miss tape decks.
    Cassette or reel to reel ? Can't say I miss the former but I still lust after an upmarket Teac R2R or similar, knowing full well that it'd just gather dust and look beautiful.

JON,

Wouldn't have been me, as I worked there in the late sixties as far as I can recall (which isn't much, it being the sixties !) Still have a 60 x hand-held stylus inspection 'scope from there.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Cassette or reel to reel ? Can't say I miss the former but I still lust after an upmarket Teac R2R or similar, knowing full well that it'd just gather dust and look beautiful.
    No, I mean crappy old compact cassette. Brushed aluminium fascias, loads of lights, loads of buttons, buttons with lights embedded in them (always a sign of top end) and unrealistically long level meters.

Typical that now I can afford one I've no goddamn use for the thing.

Although I have always wanted a really pimped-looking R2R too.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

I'm Mike.

What gives??

.... nothing happens when I click on the adverts

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    What gives??

.... nothing happens when I click on the adverts
    You are only added to the subscriber list if you've sent your postal order for seventeen shillings and sixpence in .

I'm Dennis.

A high quality R2R, vertically mounted really does have an impacting image.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast