+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello new memeber looking to upgrade

I'm Marie.

Default Hello new memeber looking to upgrade

Hi Art of Sound

I'm new to this & this is my first post. My name is Marie & I'm in Cheshire. I have a moderate to mid range system which I'm currently looking to upgrade. I have a Musical Fidelity Xray X Series CD player which is past its best. This is connected to a Rega Elex R amplifier with Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10 speakers. I'm currently reading through the site & found the Chord One CD Player and stand for sale. This would be a true upgrade what are other peoples thoughts?

I'm Geoff.

Hi Marie. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and what kind of system you're aiming to end up with.

If you want opinions on the Chord One, why not start a thread in the Digital Expressions section and ask?

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 11-06-2018 at 07:40.

I'm Martin.

Hi Marie, welcome to the forum.

I think the Chord cd player would be an improvement on your MF Xray.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Marie.

Hi Geoff

I love Classic Rock. Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, Budgie etc. What do you listen too?

I'm having a look through the Digital Expressions section next. Would this be the right place to ask the question?

There's so much on this site. I'm glad I've found it.

I'm Marie.

I totally agree Martin but what d;you think of Quad 99 CDP, would this come close to the Chord.

I see you use pre & power amps are they really superior sounding to an integrated?

I'm Geoff.

The various Quad CD players have been well received. Can't comment as to a comparison with the chord.

There is no specific reason why separate pre and power amps should be superior to an integrated amp. Some may argue that the integrated has the potential to be better, due to short signal paths.

I use both and monoblock power amps too and I'd not suggest any particular configuration was superior in my system.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot_UK View Post
    I totally agree Martin but what d;you think of Quad 99 CDP, would this come close to the Chord.

I see you use pre & power amps are they really superior sounding to an integrated?
    The Chord is better in engineering terms and so a lot more expensive than the QUAD. Even so we won't be talking about huge sound quality differences so it depends how discriminating a listener you are

Personally if I could afford it I'd take the Chord every time.

There's no intrinsic advantage to using a pre-power over an integrated as Geoff says. But some amplifiers are only made as power amps, there's no integrated version, so if you want to use one of them then you have to use a separate pre-amp.

Also, with a few exceptions, in the top end of hi-fi amplification it is all separate pre-power combos. So if you want the absolute best the manufacturer reckons they have to offer there's no option.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Marie,

I think your CD player is perfectly adequate. You would get a bigger bang for your buck elsewhere IMO.

What is it that you are trying to improve?

Geoff
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Marie,

Apropos your CD player:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The Chord is better in engineering terms and so a lot more expensive than the QUAD. Even so we won't be talking about huge sound quality differences so it depends how discriminating a listener you are

Personally if I could afford it I'd take the Chord every time.
    I agree with Martin: although I think Chord products are over-engineered as regards appearence, but when it comes to sound quality they do have a very good reputation.

I would suggest you also consider the latest Quad CDP - I think it's called the "Artera Play", and compare it with the Chord.

Regards
    Barry (obsesive early Quad lover!)
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread