+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MC...is it worth the spend to move from MM?

I'm Phil.

Default MC...is it worth the spend to move from MM?

Just moved up to a Clearaudio TT and very pleased with it, both sonically and aesthetically.

My tech chap tells me that upgrades to consider include moving to a MC cartridge.

This would, of course, involve changing my phono stage (currently a Graham Slee) for a suitable MC stage.

I know both camps have their proponents, but is the difference in performance between MM and MC that big?

I'm Brook.

I think it is worth it yes, but that isn't to say there aren't some fine sounding MM cartridges because there are, & plenty of them. You wouldn't necessarily need to change your phono stage either, you could just add a step up transformer or head amp. There is only yourself that can decide if MC is the way to go for you, try & get to a bake off or two if there are any in your area, or even start your own & request people bring their own MC cart. I appreciate it is tricky with regards to setting up but it is certainly doable.

I'm Steve.

You could always keep the Graham Slee and add a sut or headamp

Regards Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Charlie.

A good MM may often be better than a cheaper MC and PC phono set up. Depends a lot on your other equipment and your room. But there are many classic MM cartridges, which sound fabulous. If you have plenty of time. read this thread posted by Railiregas on Audiogon - almost 13000 posts and over 20 million reads.

Some of his MM suggestions are really top class.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...hen-we-have-mc
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Phil.

Thanks, chaps.

It’s nothing i’ll be rushing into after splashing out on the Clearaudio, but i’ll certainly go and read other threads on the subject.

This place is always a goldmine of knowledge and information

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    A good MM may often be better than a cheaper MC and PC phono set up. Depends a lot on your other equipment and your room. But there are many classic MM cartridges, which sound fabulous. If you have plenty of time. read this thread posted by Railiregas on Audiogon - almost 13000 posts and over 20 million reads.

Some of his MM suggestions are really top class.
    Would concur with the recommendation of the AKG P8ES and the B&O MMC20 series (EN and above: the CN and CL). Would also recommend the ADC 25/26 (or 27 if you don't want to worry about super high compliances (> 50cu), for which replacement stylii are readily available.

I couldn't be bothered wading through the thousands of replys so I don't know if the Audio Technika 'Signet' series were mentioned.

Finally the Deccas, which although a law unto themselves, can be breathtaking in capturing the 'air', dynamics and imparting some of the excitment that only live music can provide. In that respect no MC that I have heard has come close. But they are pernickety buggers, which until the advent of the 'London Reference' were subject to sloppy workmanship and enormous sample-to-sample variation.

I was intrigued by the suggestion that 100K is better loading than the industry standard of 47K. Has anyone else found the same?
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    Just moved up to a Clearaudio TT and very pleased with it, both sonically and aesthetically.

My tech chap tells me that upgrades to consider include moving to a MC cartridge.

This would, of course, involve changing my phono stage (currently a Graham Slee) for a suitable MC stage.

I know both camps have their proponents, but is the difference in performance between MM and MC that big?
    You wouldn't necessarily have to swap your phono stage. I was using Denon DL-103 MC with Denon AU-310 SUT into the MM stage and it sounded really good.

However, I've since moved to Ortofon OM20 MM cartridge, and the sound improved. This, I believe, is due to the upgrade in the stylus -- Ortofon is nude elliptical, while Denon is spherical. In my experience, spherical seems to fail in its ability to retrieve finer details from the grooves.

So bottom line, I'd think that stylus plays bigger role in sound quality than the cart body and its internals. That's just my own totally uninformed opinion.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post

So bottom line, I'd think that stylus plays bigger role in sound quality than the cart body and its internals. That's just my own totally uninformed opinion.
    True, that is why replacement stylii cost a large proportion of the cost of the cartridge. And the more sophisticated the stylus profile, the higher the proportion.
    Barry

I'm Robert.

Indeed Barry, Stylus profile plays a huge part in terms of detail / info retrieval from those grooves http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazin...our-turntable/
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread