+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Member saying Hello

I'm John.

Default New Member saying Hello

Hello to the Art of Sound Forum Members.
    My name is John and I enjoy most types of music.

I have met a few of you over the past year through arranged events and enjoyed the time together.

I am a returned to Music Replay Enthusiast, after a long absence with a System that was kept in storage for way to long.
    A listening experience attended by my wife and I at a friends in December 2017, was the trigger that got me back in the game. My wife during the session, wanted to leave pronto and unravel our stored system, she was not happy about having to visit other homes to hear her albums.

Over the past year, I have joined a few forums, visiting their events and have been exchanging the system of old.
    To date, I now have my shelved 845 Monoblock Valve Power Amp project completed, Slagle AVC, PTP Solid 9, SME IV, Hana SL, Clones Audio P-1, A five sided cabinet KLS 3 with DIY inflated HD-3P's and OTA 57,s.
    I've got the bug again, and am looking forward to supporting future arranged events.

I'm Geoff.

Hi John. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure that now you've revived your interest in Hi-Fi you'll find being a member here very beneficial.

The members are a friendly bunch, so just get involved and join in.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Grant.

Hi John, Welcoe to AoS. Good to hear youve already joined in.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Hi John, welcome to the forum.

Interesting set-up you have, especially the speakers which I have always been keen on. Have you got any photos of the system?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

The 845 monoblocks are a commisioned design and build from 2004ish, that was shelved when 50% completed, the build was started again in January 2017, at present the completed 50% is at home and the other 50% with the Electronics Engineer who designed and built them, they are complete and being tested. I am due to meet with the engineer to complete the gain matching and other finishing requirements very soon.
    I'm also toying with the idea of cannibalising the Dual Mono Slagle AVC's in the future and attaching one to each 845 output module, eliminating the need for any interconnect cable requirements.
    The rest of system has been acquired, over the past year and is waiting to be put together on arrival of the 845's.
    Due to following project, the final positioning of the system in the home is being wrestled over, if I win I will have a dedicated listening room 4300 x 3900mm. This would be better for room acoustic treatment as well, as the present room is L shaped.
    Replacement equipment stands are being designed as well, with a 2000x400x160mm approx 350Kg Granite Surface Plate as the base,
    I'm doing a little head scratching at the moment on this one, I'm pondering using Oak Glulam as a alternative version of a butchers block for the upper shelving, it usually has a mixture of grains from all types of board cutting methods and is affordable as off cuts are common..
    At present the basic design seems to be around the granite being at a height to allow a trolley jack to get under, so it can be put on skids and moved if required.
    My main drive at the moment in relation to electronics, is Phonostages,
    the Clones Audio PA-1, has been a revelation to where I was many years ago with my WAD IC Phonostage, showing all the weaknesses of the WAD.
    After recent Bake Offs, I am happy with the PA-1 as a Stepping Stone to find a replacement model.
    Penkridge Bake Off is one I shall attempt to attend.
    If there is any individual item that a image will help with, please ask.
    Last edited by JohnG; 10-06-2018 at 11:59.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS John,

Nice system you have there - do you use the OTA Quad 57s much?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Hi John, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm John.

Hello Barry
    ESL57's are to me my nirvana. I would very much enjoy finding a speaker that blew me out of the water the way I remember these did so many years ago.
    The OTA 57's have had very little use due to only having 50% of the Monoblocks at home, the impedance when hooked up in psuedo stereo is brutal, so the amps health are the priority.
    The Original 57's ( refurbed by Quad in early 2000's) vs OTA 57's (refurbed in 2013) is in my mind a win to the OTA's, their youth since refurbishment and updated components OTEC Treble Panels leave the Originals sound wanting.
    My plan is to stack them, I may stack the four I have while I'm waiting it out for a better matched set of OTA's to come along.
    The KL3 with Piezo gold domes, are a great speaker, and I am very satisfied with them, I will trial these to the Quads in true stereo very soon.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Hello Barry
    ESL57's are to me my nirvana. I would very much enjoy finding a speaker that blew me out of the water the way I remember these did so many years ago.
    The OTA 57's have had very little use due to only having 50% of the Monoblocks at home, the impedance when hooked up in psuedo stereo is brutal, so the amps health are the priority.
    The Original 57's ( refurbed by Quad in early 2000's) vs OTA 57's (refurbed in 2013) is in my mind a win to the OTA's, their youth since refurbishment and updated components OTEC Treble Panels leave the Originals sound wanting.
    My plan is to stack them, I may stack the four I have while I'm waiting it out for a better matched set of OTA's to come along.
    The KL3 with Piezo gold domes, are a great speaker, and I am very satisfied with them, I will trial these to the Quads in true stereo very soon.
    The OTA treble panels are quite different and sound different to the originals. I guess it's all a matter of taste and opinion, but I don't regard them as an improvement.

Anyway stacking Quad 57s will be an enormous improvement - I only wish I had the space to do the same with mine.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Hi John... Nice system indeed. Be nice to see some pics if that.

Enjoy the forum.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread