+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linn Radio

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Default Linn Radio

Spotted this over on the Slim Devices forum http://radio.linnrecords.com/ - it's streaming at 320 kbps and sounds rather good.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Nice one Chris, will have a listen.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm notAlone.

Thanks Chris, hadn't seen that.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Jan.

Thanks Chris; will give it a spin.
    Added all 3 to favorites for now, lets see if they are worthy
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm Steven.

Nice! I love high bit streams on my SB3/Caiman combo.

Too bad it keeps on buffering every 30 seconds or so with all 3 channels.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I don't have any rebuffering issues here, and for the UK my DSL service is considered slow, around 1.5mbps
    Chris

I'm Steven.

Well I have a (theoretically) 20Mb/s DSL connection here. Not the fastest around here in the Netherlands but it normally does the job.

Coming April my ISP will finally upgrade and double this d/l speed. I hope I can get Linn Radio w/o rebuffering then but I guess it´s not the speed that causes my SB to rebuffer. Well, there are lots of other high bit streams to listen to if you check Shoutcast.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm Dave.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    ... for the UK my DSL service is considered slow, around 1.5mbps
    Have you checked out your microfilters, and also monitored your line speed using tools such as www.speedtest.net ? We don't know where you live, so maybe 1.5Mbps is reasonable in your area, but generally speeds have risen in recent years, so 1.5 Mbps is now pretty slow unless you are living in a remote area. Microfilters don't last for ever, and there can be significant improvements if some older ones are replaced. Microfilters also need to be configured properly, which isn't always the case. You might also want to try out the iPlate, which I now think has been renamed as Brooadband Accelerator. Have you also checked the speed at the master socket, where the cables come into your premises? It could be that you have problems between the master socket and your devices.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    ChrisHave you checked out your microfilters, and also monitored your line speed using tools such as www.speedtest.net ? We don't know where you live, so maybe 1.5Mbps is reasonable in your area, but generally speeds have risen in recent years, so 1.5 Mbps is now pretty slow unless you are living in a remote area. Microfilters don't last for ever, and there can be significant improvements if some older ones are replaced. Microfilters also need to be configured properly, which isn't always the case. You might also want to try out the iPlate, which I now think has been renamed as Brooadband Accelerator. Have you also checked the speed at the master socket, where the cables come into your premises? It could be that you have problems between the master socket and your devices.
    Thanks dave2010

I live at the outer reaches of my local BT exchange - I've also worked in telecoms (as an engineer) for the last couple of decades, so I am aware of the various means available to speed things up. BT will only promise me up to 3 Mbps, which is double my current speed, if I go with them for DSL services - and that is not going to happen for as long as I get DSL as a freebie with my mobile phone contract.
    Chris

I'm Dave.

Chris

It may also depend not only on your distance from the exchange, but also which part of the country you're in. As far as I can see, most people in the London area think 4Mbps is about as low as you need go, and that's even where BT has given the warnings about being far from the exchange etc. Cable customers seem to get 8-10 Mbps. From what you say, it sounds as though technically you could get more, but one of the suppliers in your chain is keeping the rates down. There's also a lot of price competition - though that may also depend where you are in the country.

Anyway, good luck with it all.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast