+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jbl le8t-2 help !!!

I'm Nial.

If you can get the cones out cleanly, I have fixed voice coils before by winding the wire off on to a spool till the break, soldering the break, dab of french polish, wind back on, one or two coats of french polish. Re-assemble.

Steady hands needed, but if they're scrap as is, what have you got to lose?

I'm frank.

'After market' cone kit means it isn't genuine. Try them with a 1.5v battery-i wonder if its your meter....
    Last edited by cooky; 08-06-2018 at 16:16.

I'm Andrew.

Default Jbl le8t-2 help !!!

Not to worry as I have a use for them ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andyrlb; 08-06-2018 at 16:35.

I'm Lawrence.

Have the voice coils jammed in the gap, it's happened to me before. Place them facing up and carefully, with 4 fingers evenly spaced around the middle, push gently up and down, are the cones moving freely?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Have the voice coils jammed in the gap, it's happened to me before. Place them facing up and carefully, with 4 fingers evenly spaced around the middle, push gently up and down, are the cones moving freely?

Hi Lawrence, I’ve tried that too
    They move perfectly free too with no rub what so ever . Gutted really

I'm Lawrence.

Ah just realised the first photo showing 6ohms was before the recone, they are open circuit now? Unlikely to be caused by the recone, what happened when you plugged them back in? Any pops?

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Here goes ...

Andy, how did you meter test this step? Across the two pips to measure resistance or each pip back to its corresponding terminal on the back for continuity?

If continuity is fine from each pip to its corresponding rear terminal then try continuity between each pip to where the corresponding lug is on the voice coil. (you may have to remove the dustcap, but I think I read elsewhere in this thread that you did remove the dustcap anyway). With a bit of luck it is only a continuity issue requiring a rebraid or renewal of the thin wire.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Andy, how did you meter test this step? Across the two pips to measure resistance or each pip back to its corresponding terminal on the back for continuity?

If continuity is fine from each pip to its corresponding rear terminal then try continuity between each pip to where the corresponding lug is on the voice coil. (you may have to remove the dustcap, but I think I read elsewhere in this thread that you did remove the dustcap anyway). With a bit of luck it is only a continuity issue requiring a rebraid or renewal of the thin wire.
    Hi Edward, I haven’t removed the dust cap yet , that was to be the last resort , I’ve kind of given up on them now to be honest

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Hi Edward, I haven’t removed the dust cap yet , that was to be the last resort , I’ve kind of given up on them now to be honest

Try checking continuity between the pips (which you have opened up anyway) and the corresponding rear terminal. It is a one minute job. Hopefully continuity is broken there so no dust so removal will be required.

Via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Try checking continuity between the pips (which you have opened up anyway) and the corresponding rear terminal. It is a one minute job. Hopefully continuity is broken there so no dust so removal will be required.

Via Tapatalk
    I will do that in the morning mate thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast