+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Achromat on a 1210GR

I'm Andy.

Default Achromat on a 1210GR

I've recently replaced the old DJ cartridge I was using on my 1210GR for a Nagaoka MP110H but its sounding a little dull at the moment. It hasn't had 30 hours yet so there's still time for it to change, but one thing I noticed was that the tonearm seems to be leaning downwards slightly. The 1210GR won't go below zero on VTA so I'll need a thicker mat to sort that out, which was in my upgrade plans anway. I'll probably get the Achromat for now as it falls within my budget.

Is there any way to accurately (and cheaply) determine the 'flatness' of a tonearm? ie how do I know if VTA is wrong?
    Does anyone know if the MP110H is shallower than an Ortofon Concorde?
    Does the 1210GR need the special 1210 version of the Achromat? The platter does look and feel as though it has a lip, but the supplied Technics rubber mat just lies flat across the top of it.
    Is the 1210 Achromat 5mm thick? If its the 3mm version it's of no benefit to me, if I need to use it to alter the VTA.

I'm getting back into vinyl and want to get it set up properly, hence caring about the minutiae this time around...

I'm Andrew.

'0' on the dial should be 17mm with the stock mat. It's very hard to gauge the height of an S-shape arm, I find you have to look from the right hand side of the deck. You can use a ruler to measure from the plinth to the base of the arm tube at the front and back of the arm to get a good idea.

The MP-110 is 18mm so should be set to 1 on the dial, providing you are using the stock headshell.

Also I tried an Achromat on my 1200G but didn't like it, despite all the hype, I still much preferred the rubber mat but for extra VTA adjustment I sought out a 6mm Technics mat as opposed to the 3mm as standard and I really like it, it keeps the look of the original deck but gives a much better VTA adjustment. Also it sounds better than the 3mm version and weighs about twice as much. With this combo it's a seroius contender to my much higher price Linn.

On the 1210GR, you will need the Technics version of the Achromat as it has to sit flush to the platter but it does cost more.

With the extra 3mm, I can know start from 14mm to 20mm, as opposed to 17mm to 23mm.

This one but got mine form ebay and was new. https://www.juno.co.uk/products/tech...ack/234503-01/

Andrew
    Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 06-06-2018 at 18:53.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Andy.

That's an interesting comparison, thanks. Given the 6mm Technics mat is only £20 I think I'll start with that. I had one on my old mk2 and thought it sounded fine (the Res-o-mat was clearer, but I'm not sure it was better than the Technics overall).

The cartridge came with the Nagaoka headshell and I'm still trying to determine whether it's a different height to the Technics headshell.

I'm Andrew.

Its possible the Nagaoka heashell could sit a couple of mm higher as the Technics one is lower at the front where the cart mounts as this photo kind of shows.

I tried Jelco headshell on my 1200G before I got the thick mat and had the same issue as the cart sat higher up compared to the mid line point of the arm tube. Having said that, going back to the genuine headshell and just upgrading the armwires on the headshell gave me the best balance.

Sometimes, keeping something mostly in stock form is best!

https://eu.audio-technica.com/hifi-p...ssories/AT6101

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    That's an interesting comparison, thanks. Given the 6mm Technics mat is only £20 I think I'll start with that. I had one on my old mk2 and thought it sounded fine (the Res-o-mat was clearer, but I'm not sure it was better than the Technics overall).

The cartridge came with the Nagaoka headshell and I'm still trying to determine whether it's a different height to the Technics headshell.
    There's one here in Japan. I paid about £35 for mine form UK from a private seller and they almost appear to unobtainable anywhere. If you want one I would grab it while you have the chance. I reckon they will end up being easy to shift if you don't like it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNICS-...gAAOSwm8VUv6bw

My System:

I'm Andy.

I've put myself on Juno's mailing list for the 6mm mat, although it may never come in of course. I might give them a call tomorrow and see what their expectations are. Looking at the price of the 2nd hand mats I'm beginning to think I should have charged more for my Mk2!

I'm Andrew.

What I love about these decks are also that they do 78 with a pitch adjustment of +-16%. I have about 100 so a 78 cart will be next!

My System:

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    I've put myself on Juno's mailing list for the 6mm mat, although it may never come in of course. I might give them a call tomorrow and see what their expectations are. Looking at the price of the 2nd hand mats I'm beginning to think I should have charged more for my Mk2!
    Just spoke to iconic audio on eBay and he has used 6mm versions available for £12 plus p&p. Just tell him which one you want.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-...97.m4902.l9144

My System:

I'm Andy.

Thanks for the link. I've just ordered a 6mm mat off him for £18 incl p&p. I nearly bought two

I'm Andy.

My new (old) mat is 5mm rather than 6mm, but that gives me the extra room I need. I now have the MP110H set at 1 on the tonearm. That means with the 3mm mat and the tonearm set at zero it was (if I understand the markings right) 1mm too high at the pivot.

Or my eyes are wonky. Either way its sounding good now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast