+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Modern Music Is Awful

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Absolutely, so the whole point is not to be insular!

When I read through some of the 'Spinning Today' posts, I see largely the same old stuff, being regurgitated again and again (and again) - full of the usual suspects for folk 'of a certain age'...

Rarely does anyone post a selection that demonstrates some original or lateral thinking, or show that they have genuinely broad musical horizons - and I'm not just talking about on here, and you don't need to be a 'youngster' to exhibit those traits either. The exception to that, however, on here is some of the stuff that's posted in the jazz/blues and classical sections.

You just need to push the boundaries a little, and step out from within your comfort zone, and/or occasionally escape the confines of your listening room, and check out that the current music scene is like

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I work on the principle that if something new and genuinely good came out I'd hear about it because the cream always rises to the top.

There's no doubt that this has happened a lot less in the past 20 years to the 20 years that proceeded them.

I sometimes listen to people's reccos on this and other forums; sometimes if I go to a friend's house they will still say 'have a listen to this' and put on a new album by a new band or artist.

Almost always it is derivative crap. The last one that sticks in my mind was 'Seasick Steve'. A mate was raving about him, saying he was the best and most original thing he had heard in years. I can only assume due to desperation.

It's a shame that there's no-one doing good, original, fresh music anymore, but it's a fact. Not blaming the artists because it isn't their fault that it's all been done before and better. They just arrived too late to a scene that has already happened.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's a shame that there's no-one doing good, original, fresh music anymore, but it's a fact...
    I'm afraid it isn't. Firstly, the terms "good, original, fresh" are subjective, and secondly I could list many 100s of albums, from artists you probably won't have heard of, which IMHO qualify as such, and that I listen to regularly.

Next time you're round, I'll play you some of it [mostly on vinyl or hard-drive], and I *guarantee* you'll find something you'll like, which is different from what you'll have heard before

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

As a small example, here's what I'm listening to right now, from a band called The Hands:

Full album here:

You probably won't like it, as it's rather 'out there', but I doubt you'll have heard much like it before, and it was released in January this year. The second track 'When Lips Collapsed,' is particularly good (as it's dark and skanky), and should be cranked up nice and loud!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I could list many 100s of albums, from artists you probably won't have heard of, .
    Well that is my point, if they were any good I would already have heard of them, or possibly I have heard of them but wasn't keen.

I've never been one of those people who is into all sorts of obscure bands for the sake of it, or to be different. I do have a few pals like that and they listen to some right shit. One won't buy or listen to anything mainstream just because it is mainstream! I've never understood that. Why politicise music?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well that is my point, if they were any good I would already have heard of them...
    Lol, no you wouldn't because you just lazily sit back and wait until the 'cream rises to the top'! You don't get out there and see what happening right NOW. What was the last gig or concert you were at, and when was it?

I've never been one of those people who is into all sorts of obscure bands for the sake of it, or to be different.
    Me neither, but then I like to know what's different that's out there, simply to find out if I like it.

I do have a few pals like that and they listen to some right shit. One won't buy or listen to anything mainstream just because it is mainstream! I've never understood that. Why politicise music?
    Indeed. That's just daft, and certainly not my motivation at all for discovering or listening to different types of music.

One of the best things I've ever done, in that respect, is install a music streaming source, as regardless of anything else, it *definitely* gets you into new music and/or what's new to you

Marco.
    Main System

Here's something else of a similar ilk (not musically), and not exactly a new band, but one I've always liked who are a bit different, Four Tet. Just listening to their latest album, streamed from one of my personal clouds:

Must get it on vinyl!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Here's something else of a similar ilk (not musically), and not exactly a new band, but one I've always liked who are a bit different, Four Tet. Just listening to their latest album, streamed from one of my personal clouds:

Must get it on vinyl!

Marco.

I like Four Tet, I have this on double Vinyl. I also like James Blake, BadBadNotGood etc.
    Check Sons of Kemet, very very good live and new..ish

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm joe.

Nice one, Adam. Always enjoy your music reccos!

From the brief listen I had, I like the Sons of Kemet, especially the album title of "Your Queen is a Reptile"

Do you know Portico Quartet? They're very good. Just some young talented guys doing great justice to a whole load of real instruments, and recently with the addition of some computers. Check them out (this sounds great and is worth playing through your main system):

This track is really cool, in terms of how it grows and swells into some really rhythmic, funky shit:

Pretty clever. They've been around for a few years now (since 2008), but would defo qualify as a new band producing music that's fresh and different.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast