+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade help

I'm simon.

Default Upgrade help

Hi

I'm a new member and I have a modest system; Tidal streamed into an upgraded Maverick D2 DAC with a Puresound A10 running Audio Note AX2s.

I have an itch to upgrade and thinking of upgrading the amp first and am wondering what advice you would give. The Puresound is sweet but lacks a little bass dimension so I suppose Im looking for an amp that would give me a bit more bass but I don't want to lose the sweet midrange.

My budget is limited at the moment and I am thinking of bidding on this Audion Sterling

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audion-St...53.m1438.l2649

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, S

I'm Geoff.

Hello Simon. Welcome to AOS.

I'm not sure a change from the Puresound to the Audion will give you improved bass.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here, so just join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm simon.

Hi Geoff

I think you are most likely right. I most likely need to wait until I have budget for a more substantial upgrade.

Cheers

I'm Martin.

Hi Simon

Welcome from me.

Better valve amp usually means better transformers (the expensive bit) - that's what to look for when you upgrade. The better the power regulation and supply, the better the bass control and quality will be.

Have a look for a Radford valve amp, not common but not rare either, that will be an upgrade on most other amplifiers, modern or old.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm George.

Welcome. If you like the Puresound A10 why not try the A30. Bigger transformers and 3x the power with easily replaced /inexpensive valves. They do come up in the used market.

I'm simon.

Thanks for all your advice.

Yes I think the Audion Sterling may be a sideways move, still intrigued though as I like the idea of the KT120 valve and have read some great reviews of them. I may throw in a cheeky late bid

I like the idea of the A30 or even the 2A3 as Guy at Puresound has been such a gent and I am sure either would be a great upgrade.

Other option is to save the pennies and get an AN OTO, not sure if i'm that patient.

I am also going to start research Radford

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread