+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seg with power amp?

I'm Rob.

Default Seg with power amp?

Hello All,

As anyone used the Caiman Seg (latest version) as a preamp to a power amp?

I've used it plugged into my integrated but the have to turn the volume knob on the Seg all of the way around to get any volume.

I've seen a few cheap power amps recently and might give one a try if the Seg can cope.

Thanks,
    Rob

I use the SEG with my power amp all the time. It produces about 1.2Vrms on the variable output, which is just above the 1Vrms that power amps are normally specified at for full output.
    Which input on your integrated do you use? If it is the CD input then you won't get a loud enough signal. The CD input needs 2Vrms, which is twice the input requirement of a power amp.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Hello All,

As anyone used the Caiman Seg (latest version) as a preamp to a power amp?

I've used it plugged into my integrated but the have to turn the volume knob on the Seg all of the way around to get any volume.

I've seen a few cheap power amps recently and might give one a try if the Seg can cope.

Thanks,
    Rob
    What position is the volume control of the integrated in?

I'm Rob.

Hello StanleyB & Stryder5,

It was connected up to the CD input, and I've now moved it to the AUX input, but the volume levels seem the same to me?

The amp I'm using is a mid 80's Denon if that makes any difference and not a modern one.

The volume knob on the amp is at 12 and the volume on the SEG is between 11 and 2 for a usable volume.

Is there a difference of input sensitivity between amps and power amps?

Thanks,
    Rob.

I'm Gary.

Hello StanleyB & Stryder5,

It was connected up to the CD input, and I've now moved it to the AUX input, but the volume levels seem the same to me?

The amp I'm using is a mid 80's Denon if that makes any difference and not a modern one.

The volume knob on the amp is at 12 and the volume on the SEG is between 11 and 2 for a usable volume.

Is there a difference of input sensitivity between amps and power amps?

Thanks,
    Rob.
    Yes there is a difference in sensitivity.

Besides switching between sources, you can consider an integrated as a variable gain power amp, so turn up the volume on the integrated to say 3 o'clock and use the Dac volume as your master.

I know this simplifies the differences but play with volumes till you get the result that works for you.

Gary

I'm Rob.

Hello Gary,

I use the Dac section of the SEG only with my integrated amps, but tested the preamp and was a bit surprised how far I had to turn the volume up to get something usable.

Its performance as a preamp coupled to a power amp with no volume control is something I am considering, there are some decent power amps going on ebay and elsewhere that are a fair bit cheaper that intergrads, I thought I'd give one ago.

Am I correct in assuming the SEG has a similar sensitivity to most other preamps out there (basically the same ball park) and ability to drive power amps? If so I'll stop worrying and buy the next power amp I want.

Thanks,
    Rob

I'm Gary.

Hello Gary,

I use the Dac section of the SEG only with my integrated amps, but tested the preamp and was a bit surprised how far I had to turn the volume up to get something usable.

Its performance as a preamp coupled to a power amp with no volume control is something I am considering, there are some decent power amps going on ebay and elsewhere that are a fair bit cheaper that intergrads, I thought I'd give one ago.

Am I correct in assuming the SEG has a similar sensitivity to most other preamps out there (basically the same ball park) and ability to drive power amps? If so I'll stop worrying and buy the next power amp I want.

Thanks,
    Rob
    HI Rob,

I didn't really understand the above post from StanleyB, but the Caimen is his product and he should comment.

I have never had an issue with pre amp into integrated or power amp. One of my systems currently uses a passive pre ( I.e. An attenuator) so the max volume I can get out is with the volume pot fully open. I use this with CD, iPad, iPhone and various other sources. This feeds into a Parasound power amp, listening at high levels I only get to 12 o'clock on the pre!

Being unfamiliar with the Caimen I don't understand how to use it as a pre, perhaps I'm being thick as I only see digital inputs and analogue outputs that would then feed into a pre? I'll find a manual and see what I am missing.

Gary

Just found the manual online, the volume gain is adjustable, I think page 2 paragraph one explains this.
    Hope this works

So it appears in DAC mode the output from the Caimen is max gain.
    In Pre mode the output is variable and therefore can be set as above.

But, what do I know
    Last edited by Stryder5; 06-06-2018 at 10:26. Reason: Added stuff

I'm Geoff.

I have a Caiman SEG so can comment from experience. I have used it with three different power amps (SS and valves) and it works fine with each one. Simply a case of flipping the toggle switch between DAC and preamp mode.

Geoff

I'm Jim.

If you go for a pro power amp, they usually come with gain controls you can set to suit your output, only problem I had was trying to use a naim power amp with a Caiman, couldn't get enough gain so sounded quite weedy.
    I'm using a Behringer A500, cheap as chips, clean and powerful, 120w into 8ohm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer...MAAOSwrWVbDIxp
    Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
    If you go for a pro power amp, they usually come with gain controls you can set to suit your output, only problem I had was trying to use a naim power amp with a Caiman, couldn't get enough gain so sounded quite weedy.
    If it's the Caiman MKII there isn't much that can be done with the pre-amp gain. The SEG on the other hand can be tweaked to give a higher output. But you'll need a 15V power supply to get the most out of the tweak.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast