+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebay is not always a great way to buy

I'm Martin.

The Lord has got his work cut out if he's going to follow up on every incident of couriers smashing a parcel. I suppose in this day and age he could just outsource it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Mrs pony has had the odd problem with buyers and sellers alike on ebay.

On Sunday, with a few items she wanted to sell, she decided to advertise them on Facebook. One of the items, a Hindu wall plaque made up of a swastika with Ganesha featured in the centre, quickly generated a lot of interest. One person offerd the asking price (it was only £15), and as his avatar was a swastika, she thought he was perhaps the most deserving.

He arranged to collect it in person the following teatime (Monday).

He arrived at the arranged time ( I was still at work). He immediately showed more interest in Mrs P than the artefact, and asked if she was married and would she like to go for a drink with him sometime. She politely declined.

After he left she did some checking on him on Facebook as he seemed an unlikely person to want this item. She found lots of anti-German discussion between him and other individuals. None of this made any sense. Not a Hindu and not a Nazi either it would seem.

Then yesterday he messaged her with comments about what he would like to do to her, and even sent a picture of his dick! Missus has reported this to Facebook (I've no idea how they would deal with something like this). I think she needs to contact the police as it's unlikely that this is the first time he's done this kind of thing.

A big concern is that he lives in Coppull, which is only about 4 miles away.

Ebay not looking so bad now eh?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Mrs pony has had the odd problem with buyers and sellers alike on ebay.

On Sunday, with a few items she wanted to sell, she decided to advertise them on Facebook. One of the items, a Hindu wall plaque made up of a swastika with Ganesha featured in the centre, quickly generated a lot of interest. One person offerd the asking price (it was only £15), and as his avatar was a swastika, she thought he was perhaps the most deserving.

He arranged to collect it in person the following teatime (Monday).

He arrived at the arranged time ( I was still at work). He immediately showed more interest in Mrs P than the artefact, and asked if she was married and would she like to go for a drink with him sometime. She politely declined.

After he left she did some checking on him on Facebook as he seemed an unlikely person to want this item. She found lots of anti-German discussion between him and other individuals. None of this made any sense. Not a Hindu and not a Nazi either it would seem.

Then yesterday he messaged her with comments about what he would like to do to her, and even sent a picture of his dick! Missus has reported this to Facebook (I've no idea how they would deal with something like this). I think she needs to contact the police as it's unlikely that this is the first time he's done this kind of thing.

A big concern is that he lives in Coppull, which is only about 4 miles away.

Ebay not looking so bad now eh?
    Sincerely sorry to hear this Steve,

Just too many weirdos out there, worse the sheer front and boldness of some of them beggers belief
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mark.

Definitely need to inform the Boys in Blue in my view. The man is a pest and a danger to any vulnerable female.

I'm Steve.

Thanks guys, my thoughts too. Anita is quite tough and doesn't take any nonsense, but apparently he was a big bloke, and there are future 'victims' to consider.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Alex.

Around 800 purchases on ebay, I can only think of two that were bad, seller packing very badly, and denying it.

About 12 years ago, I bought my Spendor BC2's, the seller made me a cuppa when I went to pick them up. We sat chatting, his wife went out shopping, over an hour later his wife returned, and said that I might as well stay for lunch. I'm still friendly with them.

Also years ago travelled miles to pick a pair of KEF Cadenza's, the family were having a tea party in the nice big garden, I was invited to stay.

Bought a used PC, it came with a bit of damage caused in transit. Thought that I could straighten out the metalwork, but asked the seller if I could try. He said that he'd sent a replacement and I should keep the damaged one. I said the damage can be sorted, he said that I paid for an undamaged one and that's what I should get. New one came, was OK. Straightened the damaged one and that worked, offered again to pay, no was the answer, sent him half by paypal.
    Spendorman

I'm inactive.

Been using eBay since 2001 and have to say I think it's improved considerably in that time. Only been ripped off twice and both times were in the first few years ... in the days before Paypal took off and transactions were not really protected by anything other than the feedback system and good will.

In more recent years, any time I've had a problem with a purchase it's been settled pretty quickly and amicably. Also had no problems with selling photo/audio gear - only wish more buyers would bother leaving feedback

Would say that I avoid buying big items if collection is not an option - but that's more based on horror stories I've read on this and other fora than actual bad experiences.

I'm Martin.

Its not really ebay we are having a problem with...its people.

Some people are on planet zog and you are going to cross paths with them sooner or later. Its sods law that something you really want is often owned by a complete nutter. You see them in the street and surprise surprise you are going to get them on ebay from time to time

Some people will just lie and tell you what you want to hear. Others just dont care at all and they will take your money and not give a flying **** if you liked the item. Enough people havent got a clue how to pack things so the transaction was doomed from the start unless you get involved and instruct them how you want it done without sounding too patronising

I just wont have people in my home unless some rapport has been built up beforehand. The last guy we didnt have a clue about was a slightly aggressive chavvy type with no real manners. He had us hunting around for change and it was all very awkward and unpleasant. I vowed never again!

Another bloke wasnt paying after a bid....I googled his address and it was a neglected place with graffiti on the walls and a scrapyard in the garden...Ok its not good to judge but it gave me some idea what he was all about. The point is I wouldnt necessarily choose to deal with people like that but it can be so random.

Thats why I dont sell too much there now. Its like having a shop where problem customers can leave a nasty post it note on the door for a year...and in many cases they know your address....great eh!

Ebay is fine and most people are fine if you know the warning signs. I work on the basis thats if its a Quad valve amp you will be dealing with someone of quality. Then again if their other listed items are hoodies and worrying tat.... steer well clear
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 07-06-2018 at 18:04.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12