+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Record cleaning machines

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Thanks Al, surprised that the thread isn't to clean the grooves, probably assumed by many. So other than the individual attention to the groove with the wand following the groove it's the same cleaning process of spraying with cleaner and brushing, before vacuuming. Most of the cheaper machines are manually operated, I see some you just put a record in and it does both sides, so must be fully automated. Perhaps I should get a proper mix and a better brush. Tbh I'm using the liquid that came with a knosti antistat.
    I have essentially the same machine - PRC6 vs PRC3. The Loricraft has two big advantages over the Moth/Oki Nokki type machines:

1) It's far, far quieter - especially the PRC6 which I have which has the quietest, most powerful motor - this is the only difference between the various models.
    2) It's far more efficient as sucking up all the liquid (and along with it - dirt), there's no need for any drying after cleaning, the record is dry enough to turn over and clean or go straight on the turntable.

I'm a big fan of the Loricraft.

I'm Matt.

I use a ProJect cleaner, along with the project or moth record cleaning fluid.
    A reasonable amount dripped on to the record, spread evenly over the record with the project goat hair brush, using only very light pressure.
    I spin the record both ways to ensure even & thorough coverage. Leave the fluid to sit for a minute or so & then switch on the vacuum, about 2 rotations in each direction. Repeat for side 2. If it’s an unusually dirty or marked lp I might repeat for an extra thorough clean.
    Always use a new poly lined inner sleeve, job done.
    I guess there are more prestigious wet-vac cleaners than the project but it works for me, curing static & dirt very effectively.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Just ordered a goat hair brush. Will get some deionised water to hopefully remove any residue left by the knosti fluid. Perhaps I need to leave the vinyl out of the sleeves longer to dry better.
    At 15rpm the record looks dry in one revolution, I usually give it two revolutions.
    I use distilled water (again, home made; sort of !) but maybe de-ionised is essentially the same. Using an IPA mix has the advantage of a quicker evaporation time, but I simply leave the record on the platter for a minute or so, depending on ambient temperature. Can't see the point in rinsing (wasteful), as if there's residue left in the grooves, something's not working correctly.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I use distilled water (again, home made; sort of !) but maybe de-ionised is essentially the same. Using an IPA mix has the advantage of a quicker evaporation time, but I simply leave the record on the platter for a minute or so, depending on ambient temperature. Can't see the point in rinsing (wasteful), as if there's residue left in the grooves, something's not working correctly.
    The solvent is there to help with cleaning - water alone won’t make much of an impact on oils etc left by fingerprints. Evaporation is a side effect/benefit not the main reason for using it. The alternative is detergent but that’s not necessarily more benign or easier to rinse off.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I have essentially the same machine - PRC6 vs PRC3. The Loricraft has two big advantages over the Moth/Oki Nokki type machines:

1) It's far, far quieter - especially the PRC6 which I have which has the quietest, most powerful motor - this is the only difference between the various models.
    2) It's far more efficient as sucking up all the liquid (and along with it - dirt), there's no need for any drying after cleaning, the record is dry enough to turn over and clean or go straight on the turntable.

I'm a big fan of the Loricraft.
    I wonder how the suction from the smaller vac. area of the Loricraft compares to the whole side vac. of others. I maintain that the vac. can extract fluid but cannot actually dry the grooves. If using an alcohol based fluid, evaporation is rapid. A non-alcohol based fluid will obviously take longer. You'd need a blow-dry function to achieve instant dryness.

In practice this is almost splitting hairs, except that if you sleeve a damp record you invite mould, and if you play it immediately, there is more likelihood of the stylus picking up any residual detritus. Does depend upon the fluid used to some extent.

I'm Grant.

My moth drys easily in a turn or two to be sure. Can then go straight on tt or a sleeve. I do agree its damn noisy tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm martin.

Default Record cleaning machines

Back in the late 70’s I bought a Keith Monks machine which I used for many years I found noisy in operation. Later on I replaced it with a VPI 16.5 machine I found it much better when sucking the fluid over the record. Much better than the KM.

Regards,

Martin

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Knosti stuff does an ok job.

I bought a Project VC-S and things didn't go very well at all. The first unit was faulty and so was the second. Bought an Okki Nokki instead and everything is fine. Cleans very well too. Simple fluid that came with the Project diluted with distilled water. No issue.
    That’s a shame, I love my Project. But I know they took forever getting it to market, and even when I got mine, the screw that’s holds the lower record support on, I had to tap the hole before I could get the screw in. But now that I’m using it I’m quite thrilled, and it outperforms my old VPI 16.5 in every way. But, it’s not rocket science, I’m sure the Okki is very fine machine that produces the same results.

Russell

Bigman80 Guest

Russel, i was impressed with the result from the second one I had but the build quality was shocking. I'm pleased for those who have a good one but I wasn't prepared to keep giving them the benefit of the doubt. Glad yours is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    That’s a shame, I love my Project. But I know they took forever getting it to market, and even when I got mine, the screw that’s holds the lower record support on, I had to tap the hole before I could get the screw in. But now that I’m using it I’m quite thrilled, and it outperforms my old VPI 16.5 in every way. But, it’s not rocket science, I’m sure the Okki is very fine machine that produces the same results.

Russell

I'm Russell.

Depending on how dirty your records are, it can take a few subsequent cleanings to get very dirty and moldy Records clean. Moldy Records may require some enzyme type cleaning fluid.

I’ve read that most brushes are not fine enough to reach the bottom of the groves. Only some carbon fiber brushes have bristles small enough to actually reach the bottom. So, it seems the soaking is what does the work, and the brush only keeps the fluid spread out while soaking?

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast