+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Record cleaning machines

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Russel, i was impressed with the result from the second one I had but the build quality was shocking. I'm pleased for those who have a good one but I wasn't prepared to keep giving them the benefit of the doubt. Glad yours is fine!
    I don’t blame you, at those prices one expects quality! But I have noticed that the price of the unit in Europe is less than here in the states. I’m not sure where they are being made, but it makes me wonder why? Are they selling seconds in Europe?

Russell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Depending on how dirty your records are, it can take a few subsequent cleanings to get very dirty and moldy Records clean. Moldy Records may require some enzyme type cleaning fluid.

I’ve read that most brushes are not fine enough to reach the bottom of the groves. Only some carbon fiber brushes have bristles small enough to actually reach the bottom. So, it seems the soaking is what does the work, and the brush only keeps the fluid spread out while soaking?

Russell
    I wonder about that too. I think that the fluid loosens the dirt in the bottom of the grooves then it gets sucked up in solution. I've managed to get really bad records clean and playing through without any flaws, and I'm talking about records so encrusted in crud you would think they had been down a mine. It does take a lot of cleaning though, and if the grooves are damaged, that's it. But there's no question it does clean to the bottom eventually.

My only bit of advice is don't be sparing with the jollop. Pour it on don't spray it on, you can't use too much, and then get a good bow wave going with the brush
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    The solvent is there to help with cleaning - water alone won’t make much of an impact on oils etc left by fingerprints. Evaporation is a side effect/benefit not the main reason for using it. The alternative is detergent but that’s not necessarily more benign or easier to rinse off.
    Of course, but I wonder what the non-alcohol based fluids comprise. Is L'Art du Son detergent based or enzyme based ? They all seemingly do what they say on the can, but in different ways. Another benefit of the IPA mix, and surely not an insignificant one, is cost. Three benefits of IPA, then.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Of course, but I wonder what the non-alcohol based fluids comprise. Is L'Art du Son detergent based or enzyme based ? They all seemingly do what they say on the can, but in different ways. Another benefit of the IPA mix, and surely not an insignificant one, is cost. Three benefits of IPA, then.
    What ratio mix do you make
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm jamie.

most cleaners on the market contain both a surfactant and ipa.a surfactant is both a wetting agent and detergent.
    for example i use triton x.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    What ratio mix do you make
    here's a good recipe to start you off paul, https://londonjazzcollector.wordpres...r-vacuum-rcms/
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    There's another thread somewhere about L'Art du Son, it's detergent based I think, but it seems fungi can grow in it, my own bottle (which I got free with the Loricraft) was full of floaters when I checked - it went in the bin. Anyway I didn't like it I thought it left a residue which even 2-3 rinses didn't get rid of.

I have three lots of fluid available, a proprietary Enzyme Cleaner ('Plus' brand), my own cocktail of IPA-based cleaner which I apply with a spray (similar to the recipe just posted) and a water rinse with a few drops of photographic agent as surfactant, as in the IPA-based cleaner. I only use the enzyme one when it's clearly needed .. I generally use a two-step process on the Loricraft - IPA brush + clean, water brush and clean.

I am also on the Degritter (one button ultrasonic cleaner) beta programme (I have a beta2 machine here at home) I find that this works very well and is particularly good on new vinyl, which often has crap in the grooves. Every so often I think to myself that I could live with just this on its own, but then I come across some some second-hand record that's particularly mucky/greasy and I'm glad I have the Loricraft to run it through first before putting it in the Degritter, as that would likely take a few passes to clean something that filthy whereas the alcohol + vacuum approach gets it clean enough for the Degritter to finish the hob. As a combo they pair are unbeatable.

Will see what the final production version brings before I make a decision. They both have their plus points.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    I use a ProJect cleaner, along with the project or moth record cleaning fluid.
    A reasonable amount dripped on to the record, spread evenly over the record with the project goat hair brush, using only very light pressure.
    I spin the record both ways to ensure even & thorough coverage. Leave the fluid to sit for a minute or so & then switch on the vacuum, about 2 rotations in each direction. Repeat for side 2. If it’s an unusually dirty or marked lp I might repeat for an extra thorough clean.
    Always use a new poly lined inner sleeve, job done.
    I guess there are more prestigious wet-vac cleaners than the project but it works for me, curing static & dirt very effectively.
    What i like about the Project is that is doesn’t have a platter, when you clean the second side you aren’t laying the clean side down on the dirty platter. When I had the VPI, I cut a circle out of a vinyl record sleeve and laid over the cork platter to keep the first side clean. You can’t press down as hard on the record as you can with a platter, but I’m not sure that’s actually helping clean the record anyway.

Russell

I'm Johan.

I want to post pictures of my Ultrasonic-DIY-dirt-cheap record-cleaner. Can anyone tell me how to post pictures?

I'm jamie.

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast