+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Amp and speakers for £1,000 recommendations please...

I'm Gary.

Parasound Zamp v3 power amps.

These amps I feel are great for very little money.

90 watts RMS. Buy 2 and use as monobloc's, one for each speaker. I have a 2nd system using these, surprisingly good. If you get speakers that do bass, these will do them justice in spades. They not only do bass but their presentation is neutral and clear.

I paid less than £100 each for mine off eBay, have a look.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Parasound Zamp v3 power amps.

These amps I feel are great for very little money.

90 watts RMS. Buy 2 and use as monobloc's, one for each speaker. I have a 2nd system using these, surprisingly good. If you get speakers that do bass, these will do them justice in spades. They not only do bass but their presentation is neutral and clear.

I paid less than £100 each for mine off eBay, have a look.
    They are good, I've had a couple. But a Denon PMA-350SE will beat them on sound quality and power.

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've not owned either an only heard them in quite different systems in different places. So not sure about the bass, but if I had to choose between the two on an overall basis I'd take the KEFs. They do need a bit of watts and current up them though.
    Thank you Martin.

I'm considering a pair right now and if they're still there at the end of the month they'll be coming home with me. Did look at the 66s but think they're a little ugly and a little over bearing with the big speakers on show where the KEFs not only look sweet but look timid in comparison.

Just missed out on a Kef cube for the 104/2 and gutted about that.

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Can't recall what the 104-2 sounded like, but I do like the Ditton 66. However, I'd take a decent pair of Tannoys over either.
    Thanks Geoff but I couldn't afford a decent pair of Tannoy's, not without a few years of saving, or selling a limb or two. Some of the range I like are in their thousands.
    Beautiful speakers I have to agree

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    if anyone wants a final speaker then this is worth a listen , i am EXTREMELY impressed with the ta`us i am using . it would knock socks off a 15-20k speaker

https://hifiwigwam.com/megastore/pro...riginal-boxes/
    Way out my budget them Phil, do look quality though.
    Thanks for the suggestion

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    Thank you Martin.

I'm considering a pair right now and if they're still there at the end of the month they'll be coming home with me. Did look at the 66s but think they're a little ugly and a little over bearing with the big speakers on show where the KEFs not only look sweet but look timid in comparison.

Just missed out on a Kef cube for the 104/2 and gutted about that.
    I think you will get a good pair no problem, won't be a long wait. As far as the CUBE goes I don't know how much you have researched it but I do recall reading somewhere that it actually made the overall performance worse. That maybe wrong but might be worth looking into before you splash out any extra for one.

I do like the 66 though, and with the cosmetics sorted and the grilles on they can look pretty good, if that's a consideration. Sound wise, I've heard them do proper, full height 3 dimensional soundstaging, and not in a very 'good' room for it either. And they will fill a dance hall with enough power up them, cleanly as well. So I wouldn't write them off if a sorted pair come up at a good price.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think you will get a good pair no problem, won't be a long wait. As far as the CUBE goes I don't know how much you have researched it but I do recall reading somewhere that it actually made the overall performance worse. That maybe wrong but might be worth looking into before you splash out any extra for one.

I do like the 66 though, and with the cosmetics sorted and the grilles on they can look pretty good, if that's a consideration. Sound wise, I've heard them do proper, full height 3 dimensional soundstaging, and not in a very 'good' room for it either. And they will fill a dance hall with enough power up them, cleanly as well. So I wouldn't write them off if a sorted pair come up at a good price.
    There is a pair on bay right now that look to be well looked after that I'm watching.

The cube you are right was an afterthought from KEF, after they made the 105/3 and 107/2s they decided to go back and do one for the 104/2s. Many people have said it affects the subs negatively too and better results can be achieved from a little tweak on a equaliser.
    Probably a good thing I missed it and saved a few quid.

The 66s they a forum member sorted on here with the tri-wire bind post set up were a beauty and if I ever bought any that would be what I'll like to do.
    Have a few sets of celestion speakers and do respect the sound quality.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    Way out my budget them Phil, do look quality though.
    Thanks for the suggestion
    its a pleasure taz
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread