+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amp and speakers for £1,000 recommendations please...

I'm john.

Default Amp and speakers for £1,000 recommendations please...

I’d like some speakers and an amp to play my music through. I mainly play my music through Spotify and iTunes. I mostly listen to techno, house and rock n roll.

I’m no audiophile and apologies in advance if this makes me sound like a noob but I’d like some speakers that are loud & bassy if possible and I’d also prefer to purchase second hand.

I'm Paul.

Where do you live ??
    Might help with recommending gear ..
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Ade.

Are the Meridian M2's still for sale on here? Although small in size, loud enough for most purposes with good tight bass and easy to add a source to?

And definitely under budget but won't do massive trouser flapping...

If you're in the Midlands, not a massive trek to MK to see.

There's one suggestion for you. Good luck in your quest...

Ade

I'm Martin.

Cerwin Vega would do for the speakers then. Ticks all your boxes and not expensive second hand. You'd maybe have to travel to pick them up though as there are not shedloads of them for sale (in the UK anyway).

I'd also say JBL but they are outside of your budget unless you drop lucky.

Amplifier choice is much wider as pretty much anything will work with them. A Sony from the ES range, perhaps? Plenty of power, decent quality of sound, used prices from £200 and up.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

sounds like you're after a 'fit and forget' system. I'd suggest a pair of B&W 601s and a class D amp, anything with Hypex UCD (or ideally NCore) modules, even a B&O Ice Power, and the amp might as well be bought new for the guarantee as they're getting better all the time and arent too expensive to start with. The speakers are well known and easy to find, plenty of bass, and the amps will drive them properly.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaseline Coated Chicken View Post
    I’d like some speakers and an amp to play my music through. I mainly play my music through Spotify and iTunes. I mostly listen to techno, house and rock n roll.
    For very, very good but inexpensive look at Q Acoustics 2020i bookshelf speakers - plenty come up on eBay for around £100 and they are astounding. If you have room for a pair of their floor standers, even better and still not much money. If you are streaming from your phone then there are a whole range of small but efficient 'T' amps available on eBay and elsewhere that will do a great job for very little money or hassle.

I'm john.

Sorry guys I should have added, I want floorstanders and the room size is 4m x 3.6m. I'm in Birmingham, travel to collect the right gear is not a problem.

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Cerwin Vega would do for the speakers then. Ticks all your boxes and not expensive second hand. You'd maybe have to travel to pick them up though as there are not shedloads of them for sale (in the UK anyway).

I'd also say JBL but they are outside of your budget unless you drop lucky.

Amplifier choice is much wider as pretty much anything will work with them. A Sony from the ES range, perhaps? Plenty of power, decent quality of sound, used prices from £200 and up.
    Something like these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cerwin-Ve...AAAOSw3qZa7ez2

I'm matt.

The only thing that would concern me Is combining a 15" to compression driver. I know other companies seem do It well (Tannoy, JBL etc) but a safer bet would be something like Cerwin Vega CLSC 15 with It's smaller upper midrange driver. I haven't heard either though, so could be wrong.

MC2 amplifiers were all the rage on hifi forums a few years back. They are powerful and certain models are supposed to have very good sound quality too.

I'm Martin.

Bigger than I was thinking of but your room is pretty large and they will give the big, clean, bassy sound you are after.

I was thinking more of these, or similar older models:

http://cerwinvega.com/home-audio/flo...ers/sl-12.html

They are not especially accurate speakers, not compared to the alternatives like B&W and Q Acoustics suggested above, but they do have a lot more welly to them which will suit rock and electronic music where the bold strokes matter more than the little subtleties.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast