+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What did you do in WW2 dad? ...Quiz

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you read people's WW1 and WW2 memoirs they one thing they all mention is how afraid they were until they accepted that they were going to be killed and then they could just get on with it.

Anyways in WW2 there were about nine troops behind the lines in supporting roles to every one man at the front actually shooting and getting shot at. So the odds are you'd get away with not being in too dangerous a situation.
    Yes I was thinking about this. There must have been a point where they were just resigned to their fate and getting on with it. Storming a fortified beach or flying in a Lancaster the chances were that it was your final mission in life. Those Lancaster gun turrets were like flying coffins. Call it brainwashing bravado or bravery the pressure not to let the lads down and follow orders must have been immense

I cant fathom it really as I would be like "you want me to do what!"... theres machine gun nests over there... Im off home. Of course it didnt work like that and I would probably have been hung for being a coward or a traitor. My white hat would have had lots of white feathers on it.

A nice supporting role way behind the lines would have done me. My dad was in the pay corps during national service so was there a pay corps in WWII?..that would have been ok for me
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 05-06-2018 at 19:25.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes I was thinking about this. There must have been a point where they were just resigned to their fate and getting on with it. Storming a fortified beach or flying in a Lancaster the chances were that it was your final mission in life. Those Lancaster gun turrets were like flying coffins. Call it brainwashing bravado or bravery the pressure bot to let the lads down and follow orders must have been immense

I cant fathom it really as I would have been like "you want me to do what!" Are you crazy.... theres machine gun nests over there... Im off home. Of course it didnt work like that and I would probably have been hung for being a coward or a traitor. My white hat would have had lots of white feathers on it

A nice supporting role way behind the lines would have done me. My dad was in the pay corps during national service so was there a pay corps in WWII?..that would have been ok for me
    There was a pay corps so you're well in

Most people take the same view of charging machine gun nests and such-like. Trouble is they sussed this out several thousand years ago so to counter it they set up the structure and training so you form a bond with the other men in you unit. Then when the shit hits the fan you'll feel guilty and ashamed if you run off and leave them to it, so you end up charging machine gun nests with them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    What the hells this..... its come up with a land girl..."as a woman you werent allowed to fight" even though I said I was a man on an early question.

Im not brave but I didnt think it would give that answer.

Ive just tried to be honest as I cant imagine fighting in a WW myself. They must have bred them tougher then
    Another land girl here. I would have to buy some new outfits though, I only have enough for my weekends
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456