+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC copper enclosures

montesquieu Guest

Default CNC copper enclosures

I came across this company doing CNC enclosures made out of solid copper billet ... look ideal for smaller SUTs, perhaps even larger components if they could be scaled up ... reasonably priced too at least at this small size (80mm x 55 x 27):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-CNC-Cop...pHqoTdZcEYOBkw

U.S. based though .. I wonder if such a thing is available in the UK/EU? Presumably being CNC they could also drill holes for RCA sockets etc.

I'm Geoff.

Prices look reasonable.

I'm Mark.

the benefit of a copper case being?

I'm Geoff.

It looks more 'cool' than aluminium.

montesquieu Guest

Also blocks stray fields better no?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In the past, when I built audio electronics, I used to use a section of S-Band copper waveguide to form a copper housing for small items like headamps and phonostages.

These look to be far more professional, but I don't understand the business with the magnets.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

These look to be far more professional, but I don't understand the business with the magnets.
    Especially since copper isn't magnetic. Last time I checked anyway.

(Cue someone coming coming on to tell us that in some circumstances, it is... this always happens!).

I'm Paul.

The magnets are to hold the lid on so you don’t need any screws, so overall the box looks neater. However, if you use the magnets and align the box with a ley line your arthritis will be much reduced and as a result bass will sound much more defined. No seriously, I didn’t just make that up because I am drunk on Whiskey.
    ~Paul~

I'm Russell.

Marantz, and a few other makers use copper chassis on their higher end components, as stated to channel stray magnetic fields to ground. How big of a difference does it make? I guess that’s up for debate.

A cheap record player I had suffered from motor noise as the needle got closer to the spindle. So I had some copper and lead sheets laying around and I fashioned a shield around the motor. Made no difference at all, none.

Russell

I'm Alan.

Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast