+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CNC copper enclosures

I'm Tom.

Default CNC copper enclosures

I came across this company doing CNC enclosures made out of solid copper billet ... look ideal for smaller SUTs, perhaps even larger components if they could be scaled up ... reasonably priced too at least at this small size (80mm x 55 x 27):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-CNC-Cop...pHqoTdZcEYOBkw

U.S. based though .. I wonder if such a thing is available in the UK/EU? Presumably being CNC they could also drill holes for RCA sockets etc.

Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Geoff.

Prices look reasonable.

I'm Mark.

the benefit of a copper case being?

I'm Geoff.

It looks more 'cool' than aluminium.

I'm Tom.

Also blocks stray fields better no?
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In the past, when I built audio electronics, I used to use a section of S-Band copper waveguide to form a copper housing for small items like headamps and phonostages.

These look to be far more professional, but I don't understand the business with the magnets.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

These look to be far more professional, but I don't understand the business with the magnets.
    Especially since copper isn't magnetic. Last time I checked anyway.

(Cue someone coming coming on to tell us that in some circumstances, it is... this always happens!).

I'm Paul.

The magnets are to hold the lid on so you donít need any screws, so overall the box looks neater. However, if you use the magnets and align the box with a ley line your arthritis will be much reduced and as a result bass will sound much more defined. No seriously, I didnít just make that up because I am drunk on Whiskey.
    ~Paul~

I'm Russell.

Marantz, and a few other makers use copper chassis on their higher end components, as stated to channel stray magnetic fields to ground. How big of a difference does it make? I guess thatís up for debate.

A cheap record player I had suffered from motor noise as the needle got closer to the spindle. So I had some copper and lead sheets laying around and I fashioned a shield around the motor. Made no difference at all, none.

Russell

I'm Andrew.

You need a ferromagnetic material to shield against magnetic fields - ie something a magnet will stick to. Copper won't shield against magnetic fields.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast