+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Early Philips and Marantz CDPs

I'm Andrew.

The Philips cd850 is still an impressive machine , for sale too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not keen on getting into 'better' or 'worse' comparisons because that is all subjective. I've plenty of albums that I have on both vinyl and CD and the presentation is different. The CD lets you hear into the recording, the vinyl sounds more impressive.

Early releases on CD tend to have a high dynamic range. This is why they sound 'flat'. The solution to this is to ramp up the volume. That does require a system that will play cleanly at high spl, this again is where those flat earth systems failed. The amps didn't have the power and were coloured and the speakers were coloured beyond belief. A speaker with a 5-10dB lift in the midband will sound aggressive if driven hard, but will sound 'engaging' at low levels.

But If you don't or can't listen at high levels then I can appreciate why those cds don't cut it for you.
    My views on early CD and CD players is based on listening experience, listening and like a few other rushing into buying CD players. The early players had crude filters and some were 14 bit because they were rushed out. Philips did all they could to get 16 bit players as soon as they could.

My observations on sound are based on a whole range of systems including a Krell 600 monoblock wtih Wilson speakers. The speakers were closers to 4 ohms than 8 ohms so the amps could generate 1000 watts per channel so there were was no shortage of power or level. And I do listen er...loud as my neighbours can testify even though we live in a detached house.

The delta sigma based players have a dynamically flat sound but that is not true of all of them. The sound of 16 bit R2R based CD players sounds more dynamic but maybe a little cruder. But music has to be about dynamics and I will put up with a slight divergence from a perfectly flat frequency response to get more lifelike dynamics.

I agree on the differences between LPs and CDs and both to me now sound good, different but good. We can now have a good choice between the sound and the 'experience' of both formats. But a similar sound between the very early (14 bit?) CD players, the multi-bit 16 bit and delta sigma players.....no.

I'm James.

Sorry but I had the early Phillps CDP and it was shockingly bad. Music sounded like glass bottles being broken!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sorry but I had the early Phillps CDP and it was shockingly bad. Music sounded like glass bottles being broken!
    Which model? That seems to be the view of some on the TDA1541, though it's well regarded by many.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Which model? That seems to be the view of some on the TDA1541, though it's well regarded by many.

Philips CD850

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Philips CD850

What Jimbo's terrible sounding one? You're not doing your sale much of a favour

I'm Andrew.

What Jimbo's terrible sounding one? You're not doing your sale much of a favour

According to Jimbo that , I tend to follow what the major say
    The same goes for the Marantz KI cdp’s , there are those that say they sound terrible.
    Besides it sounds good to me and certainly gives the E-sound a run for its money .

I'm Rob.

My first CD player was a Philips CD610 MkII that had a TDA1543 chip and sounded pretty good to me. My son used it for years until it expired. Spookily my sister asked me if I wanted her son's old CD player recently....bet you can't guess what it was?????

Must fire it up and do the nostalgia thing.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm James.

I had the CD104 and the model after that but can't remember model number. Also had some of the early Marantz and they were not much better.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I had the CD104 and the model after that but can't remember model number. Also had some of the early Marantz and they were not much better.
    What was the rest of the system at the time?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast