+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Philips and Marantz CDPs

I'm Lawrence.

It's here and it's working. Sounds fine too early to comment further. I have also got a recent pre I haven't listened to a great deal which doesn't help the comparison. Might change back to my TVC tonight.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Cool, will await your update.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Changed to TVC, sounding pretty good now. Noticing some different things. It's not more detailed but a bit more prominent in the mid range than I'm used to. Not in a bad way. Definitely musical anyway

I'm Martin.

I am disappoint. It's supposed to be harsh and fatiguing isn't it?

You know, because of the way digital was rushed to market back in the day and all that?

Maybe you need to try some of those early issue CDs on it to get the full effect? The ones that were not done properly (although I've asked a few times for someone to clarify exactly what was not done properly and no-one ever seems to know).

I'll see if I can bring a couple of early cd players and early release cds along to the meet next month and hopefully demonstrate that everything the mags and dealers said about CD is complete and utter nonsense and simply a reflection of how little they actually know about hi-fidelity reproduction.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I have an old Sony CDP 65 in my workshop that I listen to quite often, and its still going strong!
    It was my first CD player, and it was second hand when I got it!
    Not saying its the be all of what the best digital is capable of but, its listenable.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Grant.

got a fairly old denon cd and it sounds very good. not as old as these tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I am disappoint. It's supposed to be harsh and fatiguing isn't it?

You know, because of the way digital was rushed to market back in the day and all that?

Maybe you need to try some of those early issue CDs on it to get the full effect? The ones that were not done properly (although I've asked a few times for someone to clarify exactly what was not done properly and no-one ever seems to know).

I'll see if I can bring a couple of early cd players and early release cds along to the meet next month and hopefully demonstrate that everything the mags and dealers said about CD is complete and utter nonsense and simply a reflection of how little they actually know about hi-fidelity reproduction.
    Where is the meet?

I'm Lawrence.

My first CD was Clannad Legend. It has emphasis ("Dolby" for CD) which I have found throws a lot of modern dacs, a lot of makers don't bother with the de-emphasis feature anymore.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've noticed that some albums sound noticeably better in their CD release form than the vinyl LP does and that's nothing to do with the system I use. The CD is just better.
    I've observed that a number of late LP Philips LP releases (the DFD-Brendel Lieder collaborations are good examples, as well as the Uchida Mozart recordings) sound better on CD than on vinyl but these are early 90s recordings so not 'early CD' by any definition ... my suspicion here is that they were mastered for CD (DDD was universal by then) and the LP was an afterthought, indeed by then perhaps the skills to master LPs properly were already thinning out. I could point to any number of early CD releases on multiple labels that are the other way round.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Where is the meet?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...NOW-CONFIRMED*
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast