+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrots or Avocados

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, the world ceased to be normal around about 1979 and it's been getting steadily worse ever since. You're older than me you should have noticed it happen.
    Well The Buggles were in the charts in 1979. Not certain that was 'normal' !

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The way I see it the more people who thieve from the self checkout, the quicker the supermarkets will abandon them and go back to proper tills.

Or even better the supermarkets go broke and we can go back to walking down the high street and calling in at the baker, grocer, greengrocer, butcher like we used to do when the world was still normal.
    Hear, hear!

And get far better produce, to boot.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Marco knows what I'm talking about.

Supermarkets have destroyed the character of our towns, fragmented the social structure and made essential shopping a weird and de-personalized experience. They are extremely unpleasant places to be in for any length of time, pretty much every aspect of their design is hostile to our senses. Having to do your own checkout is just a new low in an experience that was already rock-bottom.

The only advantage is that food is a little bit cheaper. Was it really worth all we sacrificed to save five pee on a bag of potatoes?

And while I'm on the subject what about all the plastic packaging they generate? In the old days you got a paper bag with your tomatoes in it, not a mass of plastic wrapped round them. You chucked the bag on the fire when you were done, or used it to keep spare screws in it or something. No plastic carrier bags.

Milk, beer and pop all came in re-usable bottles, milk was delivered by a zero-emission vehicle, there was no need to have 5 different dustbins and Christmas didn't start until December.

And yet now we are supposed to be going green? After we got rid of all the green stuff and replaced it with not green at all stuff? I mean, who is kidding who?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

In a way, we've gone full circle with grocery shopping. When I was a nipper, most of our weekly food supply was delivered to our door by the Co-op. There were also bread, fruit, and meat delivery vans doing the rounds. Nowadays, a lot of people have gone back to home delivery.

I'm Martin.

We used to have 'Tom the Greengrocer' who had a big van with one side open. He'd just park at the kerb and beep his horn and people would flock out to buy fruit and veg.

He had a proper shop too, it didn't have a sign so everyone just called it 'Tom's shop'. Then when the son took over he put up a sign saying 'Tom's Shop' which ruined it a bit.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Mark.

Digressing slightly, my uncle opened a corner grocer's shop way back in about 1960. Everything was 'on tick' and he kept a record of orders in his little black book hoping to get paid at the end of the week (month, year... Who knows, it was a pretty poor area in a South Wales mining community). Eventually of course there was a break in, no cash to nick but they didn't want that, they wanted his little black book. He then had to rely on people's honesty in remembering what they'd had. Suddenly everyone had gone off ham, corned beef, cheese, chocolates, fags... All some could remember having bought was carrots and spuds. That was the end of his business.

I'm joe.

We used to have 'Tom the Greengrocer' who had a big van with one side open. He'd just park at the kerb and beep his horn and people would flock out to buy fruit and veg.

He had a proper shop too, it didn't have a sign so everyone just called it 'Tom's shop'. Then when the son took over he put up a sign saying 'Tom's Shop' which ruined it a bit.
    We actually had two bread delivery men, known as 'the thick man' and 'the thin man'. The butcher who did deliveries was very rude and swore a lot. He had a young assistant whom he only ever referred to as 'gobshite'.

I'm Geoff.

In the fifties, our baker and milkman had horsedrawn 'carts'. The milkman was a smashing friendly bloke that everybody thought the world of. He didn't like it when he was given an electric float. That was around 1960.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    We actually had two bread delivery men, known as 'the thick man' and 'the thin man'. The butcher who did deliveries was very rude and swore a lot. He had young assistant whom he only ever referred to as 'gobshite'.
    Did you have an 'insurance man' who would call once a month? And someone who came round to collect your Pools coupon? And the pop van come to collect your pop bottles. Window cleaner coming round for his money … must be some more I can't remember.

When I think about it we must have been answering the door all the time.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

used to have a lot o vans... all coop obviously... butchers, greengrocer, baker, milk, plus a pools guy... mum washed her own windows.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast