View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

1 20.00%
  • 7/10

0 0%
  • 8/10

1 20.00%
  • 9/10

1 20.00%
  • 10/10

2 40.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, June 2018: Me'Shell Ndegeocello - 'Peace Beyond Passion'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, June 2018: Me'Shell Ndegeocello - 'Peace Beyond Passion'

The Album Club Choice for June comes courtesy of Geoff (oldius) with Me'Shell Ndegeocello's 'Peace Beyond Passion'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Me'Shell Ndegeocello - 'Peace Beyond Passion'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Beyond_Passion

Arriving 22 years ago, this album sounds as fresh today as it did then. Backed by stellar musicians such as Luis Conte, Wah Wah Watson, Wendy Melvoin and Billy Preston, this soulful album hits hard lyrically, while Me'Shells textured, rhthmic basslines throb, providing the foundations upon which her words can bite and question.

The album is a masterful recording and one I return to continually. Music remains my biggest passion yet I rarely find a combination of wonderful lyrics and musicianship, delivered with such a pristine, yet organic, natural sound. The final track, 'Makes Me Wanna Holler' remains a reference for me, and one that I have played many times for others, often resulting in an online purchase there and then!

Allmusic summarise the album brilliantly: "It's new age soul that's as spiritually purifying as it is musically sophisticated."

https://open.spotify.com/album/0jmwx...SuKrRpIVJJWtgw

I'm Ian.

I had two listens to this last night but was utterly sold on it within the first two tracks. I love this type of music, properly serious lyrics, not the usual banal, squidgy crap and earthy, soulful rhythms coupled with top flight musicianship. Needless to say I've ordered a copy. 10/10 from me. Excellent choice for this months club.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I had two listens to this last night but was utterly sold on it within the first two tracks. I love this type of music, properly serious lyrics, not the usual banal, squidgy crap and earthy, soulful rhythms coupled with top flight musicianship. Needless to say I've ordered a copy. 10/10 from me. Excellent choice for this months club.
    Great stuff!
    Her other albums are also excellent, especially Bitter and Comfort Woman. All of them to be honest.
    Last edited by oldius; 02-06-2018 at 15:40.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Great stuff!
    Her other albums are also excellent, especially Bitter and Comfort Woman. All of them to be honest.
    I'll be listening to more of her work, I'm just trying to find any on vinyl if it exists.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I'm Geoff.

I'll be listening to more of her work, I'm just trying to find any on vinyl if it exists.
    It does, but tends to be quite expensive in the UK and the pressing I have is not that good. I stuck to CD after that.
    Last edited by oldius; 02-06-2018 at 18:13.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    It does, but tends to be quite expensive in the UK and the pressing I have is not that good. I stuck to CD after that.
    That's handy to know Geoff, I'll stick to the CD's. I listened to the album again, I'm smitten with it.
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I'm Geoff.

That's handy to know Geoff, I'll stick to the CD's. I listened to the album again, I'm smitten with it.
    I'm glad. It's one I return to regularly, as is she. I'm surprised she is not a bigger name, but pleased because she has been able to produce music she believes in.

I'm Gary.

I hadn't heard of the artist before. The introduction in the thread tempted me to purchase a CD. Got a nice copy of eBay for the princely sum of £1.99! It's a good listen (I've played it twice). I particularly like how the bass comes through on some of the tracks. I haven't contributed to Album Club before so my score might come in a bit too high at a strong 8/10!

Thanks for the recommendation Geoff.
    Last edited by gsq4848; 09-06-2018 at 14:59. Reason: spelling

I'm Geoff.

Great. Do try and listen to her other stuff; a top-notch talent who straddles R&B, jazz and hip-hop with equal aplomb.

I'm Duncan.

Thanks for this, reminds me that I have Plantation Lullabies, her 1993 debut studio album.
    An excellent bass player and singer.
    Lots of exposure on YouTube

Happy Days
    Last edited by tubehunter; 15-06-2018 at 07:09.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast