+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration Isolation Info

I'm Paul.

Default Vibration Isolation Info

With the recent talk about dampening and whether isolation makes a difference some people might be interested inthese links.

https://www.lord.com/products-and-so...olation-theory

https://www.lord.com/products-and-so...motion-control

Useful for anyone looking to DIY some vibration control for their hifi.

A bit heavy to go through in one go (I haven’t gone through all of it yet), but should help in choosing the most likely optimum solution.
    ~Paul~

I'm Mike.

Thanks Paul

These guys are serious
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Phil.

Ta so much, a lot to think about and digest
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Paul.

If I understood it correctly what we would be looking to achieve for hifi equipment is that same sort of “bounciness” that you get with those old suspended turntables on music centres from the days of old, or washing machine gubbins.
    ~Paul~

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    If I understood it correctly what we would be looking to achieve for hifi equipment is that same sort of “bounciness” that you get with those old suspended turntables on music centres from the days of old, or washing machine gubbins.
    My speakers move freely when pushed around, and if I give them a nudge, there's a little wobble, maybe 3Hz. It's a myth that this causes the speakers to move when being played, because they don't...

But yes, in essence you are looking for a 'spring' that oscillates below 5Hz when loaded.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dennis.

Have you actually measured it under transient conditions Neil?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Have you actually measured it under transient conditions Neil?
    Yes, by installing 'VibSensor' on my phone, which is an accelerometer / seismometer, placing it in top of my speakers, and cranking it up.

I also used it on my floor right next to my speakers to see the effect of decoupling, needless to say, huge effect!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dennis.

The conflict between the desire for no fore-aft movement under transient conditions, and a decoupling from the floor to avoid transmission of energy is a hard one.

Soft suspension risks loss of the transient, and spikes will couple to the floor a lot of energy if wooden.

I'm surprised at your results Neil, but the phone on top I think questionable; against the front probably being better, and is the phone app good enough? I presume that many current mobile phones carry an accelerometer.

I'm Neil.

Default Vibration Isolation Info

I was surprised too, as I have always used spikes, including a Mana rack, but the sound is now cleaner, more focus and 3D, less room boom. I can play it louder without upsetting the neighbours anymore, no loss of transients either.

I don’t really see how a 5 inch driver is going to be moving anything, and in any case my speakers sit slightly off the stand top plates and are bolted into a rear fixing.

Decoupling has been the best VFM upgrade for me yet, so just went ahead and decoupled everything.

I'm Clive.

I've found the idea that speakers need to be rigid coupled to prevent the loss of transients isn't the case at all. At least that's my experience with some hefty bass drivers. I have open frame (ie no baffle) 15 inch bass drivers. These cover 18Hz to 110Hz in my system. The drivers are wired in reverse polarity and face each other so the cones travel in the the same direction, not cancelling out forces.

The interesting part is that the drivers are suspended by steel wires. The drivers are free to move - totally the opposite to normal practice. I was skeptical this could work as intuitively you'd think when bass kicks in the drivers will move and wreck the leading edge of notes. The reality is that this does not happen. I can perceive no physical movement of the spiders. Bear in mind that with all the bass cancellation involved with open frame there an enormous amount of power feeding these drivers...(900W per driver - yes I use 2 stereo class d amps to power these). Even on really bass heavy material such as Kraftwerk - The Man Machine - the only movement is from the cones - [U]massive[U] excursions. The bass is easily these the best I've had and pretty much the best I've heard.

IMG_20180525_221445 by Clive M, on Flickr
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast