+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Buzzing interconnects on a 1210GR

I'm Gary.

Poor photo, but I guess that NDS that is referred to you can see here.

You have an outer sheath of polymer
    Then the brighter ring you see is a metal braided sheath
    Then a fill of carbon loaded polymer
    Then a red and white cable sheathed in polymer
    In the middle of the two cables is the conductor
    You should just be able to see a black circle around the conductors, this is another carbon loaded polymer sheath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andrew.

I can confirm that these work perfectly on my SL1200G.

Rega couple 2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rega-Couple.../dp/B00CD7HEZ2

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's 'normal' to employ coax signal cable for turntable/tonearm leads. It's core and screen, no extra outer shielding. Both ends of each conductor obviously are connected, the core being positive (usually). There should be no hum/buzz due to the cable, unless you have it near a power transformer or A/C motor. Noise could indicate an earthing issue.

The construction of the cable you may want to be using should look rather like this (but not necessarly exactly the same).

There is no reason why you can't experiment with additional earth wires from the turntable and/or arm to the phono stage or amp.
    Thanks, I didn't realise interconnects were made like that too. I thought it was just aerial leads, although if it works for aerials then that tells me something. :-)

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Poor photo, but I guess that NDS that is referred to you can see here.

You have an outer sheath of polymer
    Then the brighter ring you see is a metal braided sheath
    Then a fill of carbon loaded polymer
    Then a red and white cable sheathed in polymer
    In the middle of the two cables is the conductor
    You should just be able to see a black circle around the conductors, this is another carbon loaded polymer sheath.

That's what I was expecting an interconnect to look like, with what I assume are positive and negative cores surrounded by a separate screen (if I've understood you right).

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    That's what I was expecting an interconnect to look like, with what I assume are positive and negative cores surrounded by a separate screen (if I've understood you right).
    Yes, I don't totally understand the role of the layers of carbon loading as they are conductive too ( I believe).

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    Screened pair leads are quite common. I have some myself.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Why would the screen have to be separate?
    In a balanced cable you have two central conductors (+ve phase and -ve phase) and a separate screen, similar to the cable in the picture.
    In an unbalanced cable the simplest and most common arrangement is a single central conductor surrounded by a screen.
    You can use "two core plus screen" cable (the first type above, as designed for balanced use) for unbalanced interconnects, but what is the best way? Your options would be:

1) Link the two central conductors together so they become effectively a single conductor, then wire it up as a simple screened cable with the shield connected to ground at both ends.
    2) Use one central conductor for the signal and the other for ground, and connect the screen to ground at both ends.
    3) Use one central conductor for the signal and the other for ground, and connect the screen at one end only.
    4) Use one central conductor for the signal and the other for ground, and leave the screen unconnected entirely.

Option 1) would be my choice. There are those who advocate option 2) though there's no justification for it as far as I know. Option 3) has its advocates too, but I can't see any advantage. Option 4) would just be a bit daft.
    The AudioQuest cables referred to by the OP which cause problems are probably wired as in option 2) or 3). Simple screened cable would have been better.

Yes, it's conductive and helps to improve the shielding at RF. It's insulated from the central conductors.
    There is a carbon loaded layer applied to each conductor if you look closely and read my description, I don't see how it's insulated from the central conductor, unless you are referring to the infill next to the sheath?

I'm Gary.

There is a carbon loaded layer applied to each conductor if you look closely and read my description, I don't see how it's insulated from the central conductor, unless you are referring to the infill next to the sheath?

I'm Gary.

Looking on CarboKab website it gives an explanation, whether it's reasonable or foo.....

Bigman80 Guest

From their marketing blurb somewhere - "The Carbon layer gives the benefits of a Solid core cable whilst retaining the flexibility of a stranded cable"

Personally, I've never hear any benefit from a solid core cable and have always prefered stranded cable. Personal taste of course.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast