+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad ESL 57 -- what am I missing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alex.

Question Quad ESL 57 -- what am I missing?

I recently got a chance to audition those true hi fi unicorns -- Quad 57 speakers. I brought with me a selection of my LPs and CDs, and spent an afternoon listening to Quads.

On the first go, I found the volume too low, so the initial impressions were unfavourable. Then when we upped the volume, the speakers came to life. Overall, I felt as if I was listening to giant headphones. Amazing amount of detail, amazing resolution, somewhat disappointing bass (despite the added subwoofer). On the positive side, probably the best double bass sound I've ever heard.

I was honestly expecting to be absolutely blown away by those speakers, after hearing and reading so many rave reviews. But it did not happen, for some reason. Was I in a bad mood that day or something, or is it really that the reports regarding their ineffable magic are somewhat exaggerated?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

Perhaps they were not best suited to the room?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Perhaps they were not best suited to the room?
    The way it was described to me, Quads were built in 1957 to accommodate rather small British living spaces. They are not supposed to be finicky with regards to listening rooms? True or false?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Hugh.

Quad 57s don't blow people away, they're much too subtle for that.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Quad 57s don't blow people away, they're much too subtle for that.
    A few people whose views I value told me that once you hear Quad 57s, you cannot resist them and must get them. which pretty much denotes the end of the road regarding hi fi upgraditis.

I interpreted that as 'you will get blown away!'

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    A few people whose views I value told me that once you hear Quad 57s, you cannot resist them and must get them. which pretty much denotes the end of the road regarding hi fi upgraditis.

I interpreted that as 'you will get blown away!'
    It was mono back the so you only had one of them. They are pretty big speakers from a visual point of view plus you need space behind them ideally so I don't buy the 'designed for small living room' thing. They were way ahead for their time in 1957 but this is 2018, and if you have the money then you can do better. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I recently got a chance to audition those true hi fi unicorns -- Quad 57 speakers. I brought with me a selection of my LPs and CDs, and spent an afternoon listening to Quads.

On the first go, I found the volume too low, so the initial impressions were unfavourable. Then when we upped the volume, the speakers came to life. Overall, I felt as if I was listening to giant headphones. Amazing amount of detail, amazing resolution, somewhat disappointing bass (despite the added subwoofer). On the positive side, probably the best double bass sound I've ever heard.

I was honestly expecting to be absolutely blown away by those speakers, after hearing and reading so many rave reviews. But it did not happen, for some reason. Was I in a bad mood that day or something, or is it really that the reports regarding their ineffable magic are somewhat exaggerated?

I'm Martin.

You already have some panel or electrostatic speakers that are pretty good so I'm not surprised they didn't blow you away. Their main strength is the amount of low level detail that gets through, most/all? moving coil speakers can't do that degree of pin-drop 'quiet'. That's the thing that amazes people. Since you are used to that already, you were not amazed.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You already have some panel or electrostatic speakers that are pretty good so I'm not surprised they didn't blow you away. Their main strength is the amount of low level detail that gets through, most/all? moving coil speakers can't do that degree of pin-drop 'quiet'. That's the thing that amazes people. Since you are used to that already, you were not amazed.
    I think you nailed it. Vocalists over Quads didn't feel revelatory compared to how I'm hearing them on my Maggies. And apparently the way Quads handle vocals is one of their main selling points.

Bass delivered by Quads was positively underwhelming (despite being assisted by a sub). Many people might chime in now with "yeah, and same is with Maggies -- underwhelming bass!" But not so fast -- on my Maggies at least, I'm getting such strong bass that often times it is actually overwhelming (and no, I'm not using a sub). Of course, the dirty little secret with my Maggies is the room placement and carefully chosen listening position. Maggies have wide dispersion and are working the room. With a little luck and a decent size room, you can get them to pump some serious bass.

Quads soundstage felt like a doll house compared to my Maggies. Which may be a good or a bad thing, depending on one's perspective. I prefer the real life size soundstage myself.

Alex.

Bigman80 Guest

There are a few bits that have landed in that catagory for me. Decca Gold, Denon 103, Alphasson 100HRS and the Quad 57's plus more.

The speakers deliver on the soundstage front and micro detail as Macca points out but to me, they always sound a little soft or warm and cozy. I've had the opportunity to listen to a very nice pair on multiple occasions and I've never wanted a pair. I've much preferred the standard box speaker approach.

I'd have a pair of Magneplanar speakers though. The ones I heard (on the end of lesser Quality equipment) were fantastic. Still lack bass and impact though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast