+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your dump sell CDs?

I'm Dave.

Default Does your dump sell CDs?

Perhaps this could have gone elsewhere (it is slightly music related...) - but .....

One of our local dumps now boasts a store for reusing stuff which might be diverted from the landfill or other recycling bins. I took some small items in there today, feeling it a better option than just tossing over the edge of one of the specific or general bins. I noticed a very good classical CD, so asked "how much?". Answer. "One for 50p, three for £1."

I bought three, naturally. I think they are still current catalogue, relatively high value discs. Maybe I was lucky today, though the guy I spoke to said that they got a lot, sometimes hundreds or more.

Has anyone else ever checked out their dump for anything useful or worthwhile?
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Dont do it here. Good idea i guess.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I used to know a bloke who worked on the dump and he was always coming home with stuff. He got a Marshall guitar amp once. Not a mark on it, perfect working order, but someone was skipping it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Has anyone else ever checked out their dump for anything useful or worthwhile?
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before on here but, before the latest daft recycling rules prohibited electrical equipment being sold to muggles without a license, I've bought loads of hi-fi at various dumps in my area, including a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds for £5, a pair of original 1960s Goodmans Maxims for £3, a Rega Planar 3 turntable with RB300 arm and Coral 777MC cartridge for £5 and, the best of all, a Quad 33/303/FM2SD setup for a tenner!

Of course, to carry on doing this now, I would need a T11 exemption license, at a cost of £1,221 every 3 years...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post

Of course, to carry on doing this now, I would need a T11 exemption license, at a cost of £1,221 every 3 years...
    That's a lot of Wharfedale Diamonds. In fact you'd have to be finding the entire contents of a 1970s hi-fi shop about once every 3 months to make that pay.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

The bloke who managed the village tip used to hover about to make sure nobody was taking an interest in removing things. I like to think its finders keepers but you didnt want to be spotted by him. Ive seen a few things deeper in the skip that I couldnt reach

I think its a goldmine that place based on the things Ive seen dumped. Its no wonder he wants all of the action and you can see he is quite prepared to get very aggressive about it. In scrap metal alone its a real earner.

I hope most of it does get recycled or sold for restoration. Its amazing what some people dump without thinking about it

I'm Dominic.

Our local tip used to be run by the council and you could pick up a few tasty gems. I once paid £5 for an ex-BBC Revox reel to reel tape recorder complete with trolley stand and a B&O 9000 turntable, both worked perfectly. A pair of Celestion Ditton 66 for £4 because they were a bit scuffed. Non hi-fi items could also be good little earners, like a Kenwood Chef bought for a £1 and sold on ebay for £48, a Hostess heated trolley for £3 sold for £50. The post office staff were less than pleased when I plonked that on the scales wrapped on brown paper lol A box full of Lalique glass items wrapped in old newspapers was also a great find.

Then the council privatised the whole system and a French firm got the contract, so no more public sales except to registered dealers who were very fussy about what they bought. The staff were mighty pissed off about this move too as they used to boost their paltry wages with the ready cash from public sales and the amount of items sent to landfill rocketed. Makes a mockery of the word "recycling".
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Mark.

They certainly won't let you salvage or buy anything at my local dump and they have just introduced a fee of £5 per small bag to dump rubble, (used to be free), that works out mighty expensive if you have a few to get rid of after a bit of home improvement. I expect fly tipping will increase as a result

I'm Geoff.

I had a not very huge pile of stone/concrete to get rid of, so I've been breaking it up and putting a modest bag of it in the park rubbish bins when I take the dog for a walk. Bit naughty I suppose, but the bin contents go to landfill and aren't recycled, so a bit of rubble is pretty innocuous. Surprising how quickly it disappears doing this.

I'm Martin.

For the smaller stuff you can hide it in bags sewn into your trouser legs. Whilst out and about trickle it down the leg and scuff it into the natural ground surface. Watch out for the parky! And the guards in the towers, obviously.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast