+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transciption Audio

I'm Chris.

Thanks Justin, great info.

Just to satisfy my idle curiosity, are you the Justin that used to work in the Ivy many years ago?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Chris.

Hi again Justin. You obviously have more knowledge of the 211 than I do (in the land of the blind etc )

I see a lot of 211s going through E bay at very low prices as they claim they are untested being unable to fit many of the test equipment. Is this BS or is one likely to pick up bargains, accepting they are not part of a matched pair.

Are there things to look for visually within the glass envelope such as discolouration?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/General-E....c100033.m2042
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Thanks Justin, great info.

Just to satisfy my idle curiosity, are you the Justin that used to work in the Ivy many years ago?
    Nope.

I'm Justin.

Not many valve testers cater for 211 as they require very high voltage to test properly. So it's true.

Don't buy anything if it hasn't at least had a simple continuity test.

Burn marks inside the valve indicate it has been used. However, all my RCA 211s developed brown burn marks at the top of the valve very quickly, so it isn't necessarily and indication of a lot of use.

Given the service life of 10,000 plus hours, if the valve displays continuity it will almost certainly work and be fine for use. I have heard stories of 211s lasting 15 years if permanently switched on. Power cycling reduces service life, and that's the reason they can last so long if left on.

I do NOT recommend you leave your amp on at all times though!

I'm Chris.

Thanks again Justin - very much appreciated.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm kev.

I listened to 3 of this guys amplifier’s at length at the Kent audio jumble a few years ago.They all sounded impressive but the build didn’t really inspire me enough to have a home demo.
    A lot of heat output and the voltages within concerned me too.
    <a href=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/lauren1809/media/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/lauren1809/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg target=_blank>http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psj2tyfozt.jpg</a></a>

I'm Justin.

Here we go deck it out with some Telefunken RS237s.

Very reasonably priced, too

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132630904383

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Here we go deck it out with some Telefunken RS237s.

Very reasonably priced, too

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132630904383
    Very nice !!!
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Old boy View Post
    I listened to 3 of this guys amplifier’s at length at the Kent audio jumble a few years ago.They all sounded impressive but the build didn’t really inspire me enough to have a home demo.
    A lot of heat output and the voltages within concerned me too.
    Thanks Kev for your comments.
    Yes Transcription Audio is something of a cottage industry, almost all casework being constructed in house by just Simon and most amps are bespoke. For this reason they lack the professional finish of mass produced stuff, but are assembled with massively over specified bits so should last the course.

This amp doesn't get any hotter than other valve amps I have owned and my biggest concern historically was funnily enough with a Sugden transistor based class A amp. It is always wise to give valve amps plenty of breathing space.

In his career Simon worked in the high voltage industry, so he has that side of it pretty well covered.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

I'm loving the glow of a warm 211
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12