+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Here’s A Digital Conundrum

I'm Martin.

I'm not saying the TDA1540 - or any other chip - does not have a character, just that I would hesitate to be in any way certain about defining it. The B&O 6500 I had didn't do bass different to any other player, not in any significant way, whereas the SLP1200 does, which I ascribe to the power supplies, but again that is speculation.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That's fine. I'm of a different opinion, as given the experience I've had over the years comparing CDPs and DACs, with and without TDA-1541s, I wouldn't hesitate in defining their character, as outlined. Simply because I'm convinced that's the case.

Plus, as a general rule, the best vintage players usually tend to sound richer/weightier in the bass (which could well be linear PSU-related), than their modern counterparts, which conversely, to my ears, usually sound lighter and 'fresher'/clearer, but ultimately not as musical.

YMMV

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's fine. I'm of a different opinion, as given the experience I've had over the years comparing CDPs and DACs, with and without TDA-1541s, I wouldn't hesitate in defining their character, as outlined. Simply because I'm convinced that's the case.

Plus, as a general rule, the best vintage players usually tend to sound richer/weightier in the bass (which could well be linear PSU-related), than their modern counterparts, which conversely, to my ears, usually sound lighter and 'fresher'/clearer, but ultimately not as musical.

YMMV

Marco.
    Exactly my point, bro. You're convinced it's the case, but you don't know it is.

I'm not claiming he's right, but a DAC designer with some repute says he's tried countless chips and he reckons they don't vary in sound much, quoting a 10% allocation in the overall sound quality of a DAC. I tend to believe him. But nothing more than that.

Yup, I agree. However, pretty much all the opinions we hold in audio, we're only convinced that we're right about; we don't know for sure. Therefore, you simply have to trust your own judgement on this matter, the same as with any other, which I'm happy to do.

Plus, with DAC chips especially, much of what you hear is down to how well they've been implemented into a circuit. TDA-1541s, in that respect, are notoriously more 'fussy' and expensive to optimise. After all, you can only judge how good something is or isn't, or discern meaningful differences, if you've heard whatever is being judged at its best

Who knows whether the designer in question achieved that or not with all the chips he tested?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Same planet post, and I think the only right thing to think. Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I'm not claiming he's right, but a DAC designer with some repute says he's tried countless chips and he reckons they don't vary in sound much, quoting a 10% allocation in the overall sound quality of a DAC. I tend to believe him. But nothing more than that.
    Hmmm

I'm Gary.

Stan,
    I know you've a long awareness of Spartan FPGA chips, and that's (IMO) where the good DAC stuff is at nowadays.

Any headway on that?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Not heard of those.....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Gary.

Don't buy an off the shelf chip for your Dac, be different and programme your own?
    I know Stan's had interest this...

Chord Dave uses an FPGA

https://www.xilinx.com/products/sili...spartan-6.html
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Interesting - looks like some real progress has been made there, with great potential

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast