+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Here’s A Digital Conundrum

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Exactly my point, bro. You're convinced it's the case, but you don't know it is.

I'm not claiming he's right, but a DAC designer with some repute says he's tried countless chips and he reckons they don't vary in sound much, quoting a 10% allocation in the overall sound quality of a DAC. I tend to believe him. But nothing more than that.
    10% is quite a lot in terms of audio. But the reality is there are a dozen popular D/A chips out there, some cost more than others, and DAC designers have their favorites. All this is based on what’s inside the chip, not the analog circuits that follow. So engineers choose their favorites based on some criteria? If this waveform was so perfect that no one could possibly hear any difference, then it wouldn’t make any difference which chip you chose.

Russell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    10% is quite a lot in terms of audio. But the reality is there are a dozen popular D/A chips out there, some cost more than others, and DAC designers have their favorites. All this is based on what’s inside the chip, not the analog circuits that follow. So engineers choose their favorites based on some criteria? If this waveform was so perfect that no one could possibly hear any difference, then it wouldn’t make any difference which chip you chose.
    Precisely, Russell. That's what I mean by "implementation". It's the analogue circuits that follow, which make the biggest difference to the sound you hear!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Default Here’s A Digital Conundrum

The DAC chip makes a huge difference IME. An analogy is like it being the cartridge, and the output stage being the phono stage.

The only reason multibit DACs aren’t really around anymore is because they are so expensive to produce, but look around and there are many current production units using them.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Default Here’s A Digital Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Don't buy an off the shelf chip for your Dac, be different and programme your own?
    I know Stan's had interest this...

Chord Dave uses an FPGA

https://www.xilinx.com/products/sili...spartan-6.html
    Or do what Soekris and ECDesigns are doing with FPGAs and design a discrete resistor array i.e. true multibit.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    The DAC chip makes a huge difference IME. An analogy is like it being the cartridge, and the output stage being the phono stage.

The only reason multibit DACs aren’t really around anymore is because they are so expensive to produce, but look around and there are many current production units using them.
    Yup, and to my ears they generally sound better than bitstream. So, for reference, could you link to any standalone DACS or CDPs produced now that are multi-bit?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Schitt do a multibit DAC, not sure which one it is though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, and to my ears they generally sound better than bitstream. So, for reference, could you link to any standalone DACS or CDPs produced now that are multi-bit?

Marco.
    DACs:

Audial Model S - https://www.audialonline.com/model-s/
    Metrum Amethyst - https://metrumacoustics.com/product/...rum-acoustics/ (and I think all Metrum DACs too)
    EC Designs Mosaic - https://www.ecdesigns.nl/mosaic-uv.html (discrete DAC design)
    Soekris DAC 1541 - http://www.soekris.dk/dac1541.html (discrete DAC design)
    Audio Note DAC 4.1x - http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/..._4.1x_01.shtml (IIRC all Audio Note DACs are multibit)
    Zanden Model 5000 Signature - http://www.zandenaudio.com/product/m5000.php
    Schiit Yggdrasil - http://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil (some reports of glitching, might have been a faulty unit though...)

CD Player:

AMR CD-77 - http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/cd_individual.html

I'm Russell.

Precisely, Russell. That's what I mean by "implementation". It's the analogue circuits that follow, which make the biggest difference to the sound you hear!

Marco.
    That is the exact opposite of what I just said. The engineer has designed his analog circuit, this doesn’t change, but he decides which chip he will put in front of it based on some criteria, he has a favorite, for some reason. If you ask him why he chose this chip, he will say, “because it sounds better”. He will rarely say, “it’s the cheapest and they all sound the same”.

Does the analog circuit have an even greater effect on the sound? Most likely. But that does not mean that the chip has no effect.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

I suspect that cost, ease of implementation and availability are the three main factors that influence the choice of DAC chip.

Maybe with what reviewers and enthusiasts are saying is the current front runner bringing up the rear. No salesman wants to have to flog last year's DAC chip after all. You want to be selling what people are saying is the latest and greatest, or alternatively something from the distant past that has become legendary for no clearly established reason, like the TDA1540/41.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

...providing that they use the same chipsets and technology. Otherwise, for me, no.

In that respect, there are distinct sonic differences between my vintage Sony DAS-R1, which uses multi-bit technology, with TDA-1541s, and a modern DAC using bitstream, with say, Burr-Browns.

Both have their plusses and minuses, but nothing does deep, chunky-sounding bass that you can almost CHEW, like well-implemented TDA-1541s

Marco.
    Err FPGA chips can do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast