+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SL-1210Mk2 & SME 309 Earth Problems

I'm Z.

Default SL-1210Mk2 & SME 309 Earth Problems

Hi,
    If you look at my signature you can see my equipment
    My problem is that I’m having real issues with earthing my newly acquired SME
    I can’t figure out how to sort it, before when I had the original arm fitted there was a background noise on my Trichord anyway, sort of a slight puls, ebbing noise, which I intended to sort, however I bought the SME before I did
    Now I’m getting a constant loud ticking sound as well, to the point that I can’t listen to vinyl
    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for this problem?
    Thanks

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

When you fitted the 309 did you connect the earth tag from the pitch control? Might not be the problem but it's worth doing.

Very strange problem, is the Dino sited well away from the deck?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Paul.

I dont think it is an earth problem as these tend to cause a 50 hz hum. Could be RFI pick up or a problem with the phono stage.
    ~Paul~

I'm Z.

Hi Chris
    When I changed the tonearm the earth to the slider was removed too, as this is part of the Technics arm
    The SME arm is separate from the chassis, only connection is the mounting arm board which is an Ammonite

I'm Z.

Hi Paul
    This maybe the preamp, but it definitely got very worse since using the SME
    When I disconnected the tonearm cable from the Trichord it was silent, so seems to be connected to using the SME ?
    And yes I agree it seems to be picking up something as it may well be 50Hz, not sure

I'm Hugo.

The Trichord Dino is alarmingly susceptible to RFI and when I had one, I was forced to stop using a cordless phone because the noises were so bad. So, that is definitely at least part of the problem.

Are you connecting both of the tonearm cable’s ground spade connectors to the Dino? I’m informed by someone who knows all about SME arms and fitting them to Technics decks that connecting both is mandatory.

I'm Z.

Hi Hugo
    The saga continues, this is so frustrating for me, I just want to play some records...
    Both of the SME earth tags are indeed connected to the Trichord, but as I’ve stated the SME is picking up something the original arm didn’t
    Just as an aside any suggestions for a similarly priced phono stage or even better a cheaper option lol ?
    Regards Richard

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Richard, I fitted a 309 to my 1210 some years ago now but I was using a Trichord Diablo /NCPSU at the time with no issues whatsoever, the only thing I did differently to you was connecting the pitch slider earth tag to the 309 via one of the mounting screws underneath.

Very strange, because I was led to believe it wasn't that critical.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Z.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Richard, I fitted a 309 to my 1210 some years ago now but I was using a Trichord Diablo /NCPSU at the time with no issues whatsoever, the only thing I did differently to you was connecting the pitch slider earth tag to the 309 via one of the mounting screws underneath.

Very strange, because I was led to believe it wasn't that critical.
    Hi Chris
    I’m wondering whether I need to connect a cable between the chassis of the 1210 & the arm somewhere
    Thanks again for your input
    Regards Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Z.

Default Sorted

Thanks for all the assistance, problem now resolved.

After doing some further research, I did several things, not 100% sure which ultimately cured it, but the end result was a very quiet noise floor on my phono input.

Firstly I attached an earth strap to one of the SME mounting bolts, this I connected to the T/T chassis, I also used the same point to run an additional earth strap to the phono pre amp. Overkill maybe, but what the heck...
    Secondly I read that the Trichord is very sensitive to electrical interference, so I have removed my 'Powerline' wi-fi adapter that was in the same room.
    So now I am once again enjoying my vinyl collection...happy days...
    Last edited by ziggy47; 18-06-2018 at 10:58. Reason: Better explanation given, as requested by alanc...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast