+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats The Best Sounding Tonearm Vintage/Recent Regardless of Price?

I'm Jim.

Would it worth putting a better arm on a very early AR turntable?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvaudio View Post
    It would be a shame to butcher a classic turntable. The standard arm is capable enough and I like the funky looks.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luvaudio View Post
    Bouncy light platter belt drive tables are a different discussion entirely. Not a fan personally, after so many years with idlers I can always hear the speed wobble, even on a top spec LP12 or or three motor Voyd. Fine if pitch stability doesn't bother you.

I'm Jim.

I'm Clive.

For AR XA/TAs there are 3 basic approaches.

1. Go with the existing arm - the main weakness is the headshell which is made of brittle plastic and the threads are prone to stripping if over tightened. Aftermarket headshells are available and are better but may need fettling to work properly. The stock arm also lacks proper anti skate though wires can be manipulated to provide some anti skate.

2. Go with the existing arm pivot but replace the arm tube and headshell with the SME type. The arm tubes are slightly narrower so need work to get them to fit tight without slopping. This would require budgeting for an arm tube with technics tubes commonly recommended. In addition it would require a rewire which needs good soldering skills. More advanced mods include replacing delrin bearing cups in the arm pivot with sapphire ones for better tracking and also damping the arm tube. Marc Morin who posts at Audiokarma is the acknowledged expert and he will carry out the work at a price.

3. Fit a replacement arm - this requires major surgery to the sub chassis using modifications originally known as the Merrill mods. Someone like Steve Frosten does do professional adaptations using a variety of tonearms but I have also seen several real bodges. Heavy replacement arms may be a poor fit and will cause issues with the suspension so mass balancing is needed.

My strong personal preference is option 2 though in my case I went my own DIY route with a straight aluminium tube and an ADC type straight arm headshell. The result is competitive with other decks in my collection and whilst not my best sounding deck is the one I use most.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cre009 View Post
    For AR XA/TAs there are 3 basic approaches.

1. Go with the existing arm - the main weakness is the headshell which is made of brittle plastic and the threads are prone to stripping if over tightened. Aftermarket headshells are available and are better but may need fettling to work properly. The stock arm also lacks proper anti skate though wires can be manipulated to provide some anti skate.

2. Go with the existing arm pivot but replace the arm tube and headshell with the SME type. The arm tubes are slightly narrower so need work to get them to fit tight without slopping. This would require budgeting for an arm tube with technics tubes commonly recommended. In addition it would require a rewire which needs good soldering skills. More advanced mods include replacing delrin bearing cups in the arm pivot with sapphire ones for better tracking and also damping the arm tube. Marc Morin who posts at Audiokarma is the acknowledged expert and he will carry out the work at a price.

3. Fit a replacement arm - this requires major surgery to the sub chassis using modifications originally known as the Merrill mods. Someone like Steve Frosten does do professional adaptations using a variety of tonearms but I have also seen several real bodges. Heavy replacement arms may be a poor fit and will cause issues with the suspension so mass balancing is needed.

My strong personal preference is option 2 though in my case I went my own DIY route with a straight aluminium tube and an ADC type straight arm headshell. The result is competitive with other decks in my collection and whilst not my best sounding deck is the one I use most.

I prefer Geoff's answer. The AR is what it is, and while an OK turntable it isn't worth spending money and effort on when there are better alternatives that are less hassle and sound better .. modding it is lipstick on a pig. S/H Technics 1210 will vastly outperform it and has multiple upgrade paths.

Beginning to wonder what the OP is smoking though an AR is a million miles from a TD124 and some of the earlier discussion.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    modding it is lipstick on a pig
    And of course devalue it.

It's not mine however and the owner can do what they like with it. Personally I'd keep it standard, as it's an enjoyable piece if Hi-Fi history and was a bit of a landmark in its time. I think the money would be best put towards a deck that offers the required performance in the first place.

I'm Neil.

I'd love to hear one of the new Helius arms:

Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Clive.

The early AR turntables have their admirers and this thread at Audiokarma is good starting point

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...thread.595003/

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I'd love to hear one of the new Helius arms:

If I were a 9 inch arm person that one would sway me ! Aesthetics at the cost of performance, I wonder? Beautiful, regardless; Svelte, even.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast