+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Can SE amps play Rage Against The Machine

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    What are you using now Rick?

Paul, have you heard or know anything about the Kronzilla? Google it because that is one hell of an amp but out of reach for most.

The largest triode valve I know of.
    Yes, I've heard the Kronzilla a few times but always with Wilson Benesch speakers which to my ears always give a sterile sound. For the time being I shall continue to enjoy my Icon Audios, perhaps in the autumn I'll be ready to buy again.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_F View Post
    I had this combo, still got the amp, but moved the speakers on some years back. It was the fastest sounding system I've owned and really worked great. Lovely with acoustic to full on rock. I still recall once playing a Red Hot Chili Peppers track LOUD and causing me to raise my eyebrows and lean back as it played it with such conviction. I don't think I'll ever forget that moment!!! It also liked Killing in the name of
    Tom Evans is the champion of fast transient music, his Groove SRX+ is a master piece. Perhaps his bread bins may be an option?
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Paul.

I had this combo, still got the amp, but moved the speakers on some years back. It was the fastest sounding system I've owned and really worked great. Lovely with acoustic to full on rock. I still recall once playing a Red Hot Chili Peppers track LOUD and causing me to raise my eyebrows and lean back as it played it with such conviction. I don't think I'll ever forget that moment!!! It also liked Killing in the name of
    I've read up about the Art Audio Diavolo and this definitely seems like my sort of amp, I shall try and seek one out. Cheers Paul
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Rick.

I've not heard the Groove SRX so don't know what it's like. The Diavolo's don't seem to come up for sale very often, but the other amps made by AA do. I'm sure there's one for sale either here, PFM or the WW forum.

I'm Paul.

I've not heard the Groove SRX so don't know what it's like. The Diavolo's don't seem to come up for sale very often, but the other amps made by AA do. I'm sure there's one for sale either here, PFM or the WW forum.
    So I've being doing my research and have the following on my list Shindo Cortese F2A, Soul Amplifiers, Art Audio Diavolo, Nick Gorham 'Rage' amps, Almarro A318B, Pure Sound 2A3s and M845.

I realized Nick Gorhams 'Rage' Amps, Soul Amps and the Art Audio all used solid state in varying degrees. So I thought what about Tom Evans Linear A amps? After exchanging a few emails with Tom I discovered he is a big dub reggae and rock fan and of course develops amplifiers around his tastes in music. What also came to light is that Peter Chappell designed the Soul output transformers, all of the Art Audio output ones and is also co-designer of the Linear A and B's.

Next stop looks like the Linear A Mk II. Do we have anyone here with one?
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Rick.

I can't recall where about you are located. I haven't used my Diavolo & Border Patrol PSU, but I'm sure I could set it up if you fancied a listen. I'm in East Sussex, but I'm close to Tunbridge Wells in Kent.

I'm Paul.

I can't recall where about you are located. I haven't used my Diavolo & Border Patrol PSU, but I'm sure I could set it up if you fancied a listen. I'm in East Sussex, but I'm close to Tunbridge Wells in Kent.
    Thanks a lot for the offer but I'm in deepest Somerset.

TEAD UK dealer is based in East Anglia but fortunately Tom is going to let me have his Vibe/Linear A stack for home assessment.
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Gary.

Can only speak (more than) highly about Nick Gorhams "Rage" amps...

Solid state regulation...nothing commercial betters it.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Can only speak (more than) highly about Nick Gorhams "Rage" amps...

Solid state regulation...nothing commercial betters it.
    I've exchanged a few emails with him, apparently he made an integrated the same time he made your mono's, he's offered to ship it to me for a listen. I asked about pricing and name, he said they did not have a name, quite an oversight I thought - so I've named them the 'Rage' Integrated and 'Rage' mono's.

I'm still keeping an open mind but I've now moved from the list stage to the listening stage.
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Simon.

SE valve amp and rock music? Border Patrol
    The S20 or pp P20 will work a treat with the LV speakers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast