+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Somerset

I'm Paul.

Default Hello from Somerset

Hi Everyone

I grew up in a pub and used to get all the records off the jukebox so by 10 I already had a collection of 200-300 singles. In my teens we used to play records on a friends fathers proper hi-fi which is probably where the interest started. Music wise I love the blues, jazz, rock and have an extensive dub reggae collection.

My first real system consisted of a Linn Axis, Mission Cyrus II + Power and Rogers LS7ts which I purchased in my early 20s.

Graduating as a Electronics Engineer I was educated as regards the superiority of transistors and digital so I was quite shocked to discover the best sounding systems at mid 80s Hi-Fi shows consisted of tubes and vinyl.

In the 90s I had a Pink Triangle Anniversary, Iso Phono stage, Audio Innovations S500 and built some huge Davis speakers from an audiophile kit.

My current system consisted of a TW Raven GT turntable, Groove SRX+, Zanden 3000, Icon Audio mb90s and LV OBX+RW. I was quite happy with the world until a pair of Aspara HL1 horn speakers came my way. These are brutally revealing, extremely fussy but when setup correctly fill the room with music. Currently I'm on the lookout for a SE amp that can play reggae and rock!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Welcome Paul.

I reckon you should take a listen to the Puresound 845 se monos, could be what you're looking for.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Geoff.

Hello Paul. Welcome to AOS.

That's a nice system you've put together. I'm sure members can give opinions on suitable amplification. Just start a thread in the Blank Canvas area and outline your ideas.

There's plenty going on here, so just join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Paul.

[QUOTE=chris@panteg;979671]Welcome Paul.

Hi Chris

I do have those on my list but I wonder if they may be too smooth, can they do anger? I was hoping to hear them in Worcester a couple of months back but the dealer was away. I used to have some Opera Cyber 845s they gave a pleasant dreamy like feeling to music but they could not rock.
    Last edited by jahsavage; 24-05-2018 at 16:16. Reason: Added quote

I'm Dave.

Hi Paul, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

[QUOTE=jahsavage;979831]
    Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Welcome Paul.

Hi Chris

I do have those on my list but I wonder if they may be too smooth, can they do anger? I was hoping to hear them in Worcester a couple of months back but the dealer was away. I used to have some Opera Cyber 845s they gave a pleasant dreamy like feeling to music but they could not rock.
    Paul, I haven't heard them in action but have recently bought a Puresound 2a3, now this is a push pull 18 watter, I have living voice Avatars and boy does it rock! I was previously using a Marantz pearl lite 70 watts solid state and that sounds positively bland and safe in comparison and it's not a bad amp at all.

Why not contact Guy Sergeant and ask him about what you're looking for, he offers a bespoke service too.
    Last edited by chris@panteg; 25-05-2018 at 06:00.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS

Nice 90s system and current one
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Paul,

Nice introduction - do you still have those 45rpm singles? Admirable tastes in music (though I'm not sure I know what "dub reggae" is)

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Paul.

[QUOTE=chris@panteg;979978]
    Quote Originally Posted by jahsavage View Post

Paul, I haven't heard them in action but have recently bought a Puresound 2a3, now this is a push pull 18 watter, I have living voice Avatars and boy does it rock! I was previously using a Marantz pearl lite 70 watts solid state and that sounds positively bland and safe in comparison and it's not a bad amp at all.

Why not contact Guy Sergeant and ask him about what you're looking for, he offers a bespoke service too.
    I've been busy this spring buying a new Audio Details Premier pre-amp and the Aspara's so I need to sell a few items first before seriously considering a new amplifier.

Thanks
    Last edited by jahsavage; 29-05-2018 at 17:40.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

+ Reply to Thread