+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carole King -Tapestry. Which Version?

Bigman80 Guest

Default Carole King -Tapestry. Which Version?

Hi all,

Whilst have a general look online for a decent copy of this classic album, I found a thread devoted entirely to it on a forum elsewhere.

The idea being floated was that the MoFi version was easily the best of the rereleases bunch.

Has anyone got a copy of it ? What is your assesment of the quality of pressing? etc.

I normally don't mind paying through the nose for a great copy but £40 seemed a bit mad for a single vinyl version.

Cheers.

I'm Grant.

Tapestry ‎(2x12", Album, Ltd, Num, RE, RM, 180) ORG Music, Epic, Ode Records (2) ORGM-1071, 88725408881 US 2012

this one probably but will likely be same price wise but u get 2 records

or the uk version a bit later
    Ode Records (2) ‎– 8843094711, Epic ‎– 8843094711, Legacy ‎– 8843094711, Sony Music ‎– 8843094711 will be good
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

I have the OED 70 heavyweight re-release and while its a great album it does sound like the master tapes used were less than ideal; a little harsh and sibilant at times and the first song sounds like the tape had stretched with age and had a slight flanger-like effect to it.
    ~Paul~

Bigman80 Guest

Cheers guys, yes Grant, it's not THAT expensive but I'd rather buy right first time.

Primalsea, can't be happy about that phase effect! Maybe I'll just go for it with the MoFi version.

I'm jamie.

if i remember right,the 1st pressing have distortion in her vocals,i bought a different pressing and they all sounded the same.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    if i remember right,the 1st pressing have distortion in her vocals,i bought a different pressing and they all sounded the same.
    Ye, I have the first pressing but it's played out and the distortion alone would be an improvement lol.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I have 3 copies of this record all early copies on A&M (Ode) First Press, Epic (Ode) Green Label first press and finally Epic (Ode) Blue label Third Press (This may be a later repress I am not sure). While I cannot vouch for the two Epic copies as they were bought second hand to try and cure that sibilance problem that existed on my 1971 purchase on A&M. None of them succeeded in curing it, all my copies are similar.

I have never knowingly heard a remaster or a MOFI copy.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    I have 3 copies of this record all early copies on A&M (Ode) First Press, Epic (Ode) Green Label first press and finally Epic (Ode) Blue label Third Press (This may be a later repress I am not sure). While I cannot vouch for the two Epic copies as they were bought second hand to try and cure that sibilance problem that existed on my 1971 purchase on A&M. None of them succeeded in curing it, all my copies are similar.

I have never knowingly heard a remaster or a MOFI copy.
    Cheers Andy, I have the A&M version. Terribly veiled sound, worn out grooves but I still love it lol. I won't be rushing in to BB using the MoFi version. Just seeing how opinion rated the various pressings.

I'm Paul.

Actually the copy I have doesn’t so much have a flanger effect at the beginning of the first track, but more like the volume level pulsates as if there was a slow acting compression. I remembered the issue incorrectly.

Does anyone have it on CD? Would be interesting to see if the CD suffered with the same issue and whether there was a lot of post production work done to solve the issue becuase the problem is with the master tapes, or if the problem is with the pressing tools.
    ~Paul~

I'm Paul.

I just called it up on Amazon Music and it does seem that some Eq has been used to cut the high frequencies. There is just a hint of sibilance and the pulsation of the volume has nearly gone.

I suspect it could be a problem with the orginal recording.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast