+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica based cartridges

I'm Graham.

Default Audio Technica based cartridges

Can anyone comment about the difference between the LP Gear CF95SE cartridge with carbon fibre cantilever and .0003 x .0007 stylus, the LP Gear AT95SE with “Zualum” cantilever and the same stylus and the Audio Technica AT95SE with aluminium cantilever and the same stylus. All are priced similarly and all seem to be based on the Audio Technica AT95EX.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Steve.

Hi Graham,

As Far as I was aware the at95ex is a slightly modified version of the at95e, it was modified and supplied with the Audio Technica At-lp5 turntable and sounds very good indeed considering the price.

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Graham,

As Far as I was aware the at95ex is a slightly modified version of the at95e, it was modified and supplied with the Audio Technica At-lp5 turntable and sounds very good indeed considering the price.

Steve
    The only difference in the published specifications is that the AT95E has a .04 x.07 mil stylus and the AT95EX has a .03 x .07 mil stylus. If there are any internal differences they are not specified.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Grant.

Used to have a shibata on my at95. Sounded great
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    The only difference in the published specifications is that the AT95E has a .04 x.07 mil stylus and the AT95EX has a .03 x .07 mil stylus. If there are any internal differences they are not specified.
    That and a 2kHz increase on the top end frequency response.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dazz.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    That changed. Recent AT95E comes with the same 0.3x0.7 stylus.

I have fitted the LPGear Vivid Line stylus to an AT95E and think the result is simply outstanding. Lifts the AT95 into the big leagues.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Used to have a shibata on my at95. Sounded great
    Yes ,you did , and you sold it

Still great!!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Steve.

Must admit, I keep gravitating back to Audio Technica cartridges. I am using an AT33 PLGIII at the moment though I will be moving back to an OC9 ml3 when funds allow. I have owned two and three grand cartridges in the past and they didn't make me smile the way the Audio Technica's do. The only thing that came close was a Denon 103. Some of the early Linn cartridges were re-badged Audio Technica's I believe? Just my view guys, don't shoot me for it.

I'm Kevin.

Do you mean the PTG/II?
    It is one of my favourites. The AT95SA I have is rather good as well. They just seem to
    Do things well, for a reasonable cost.
    I have got rid of the plastic housing and have it in a wooden body. I mean to fit an aluminium body to it at one point.

I also have a heavily modified DL103 (boron canti and shibata tip) that ticks all of the right boxes.

Oh, why do you prefer the OC9?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by garrard View Post
    That changed. Recent AT95E comes with the same 0.3x0.7 stylus.
    The AT95E has been discontinued and is no longer listed on the AT website. The AT95EX has replaced it with a .03x.07 stylus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast