+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica based cartridges

I'm Graham.

Default Audio Technica based cartridges

Can anyone comment about the difference between the LP Gear CF95SE cartridge with carbon fibre cantilever and .0003 x .0007 stylus, the LP Gear AT95SE with “Zualum” cantilever and the same stylus and the Audio Technica AT95SE with aluminium cantilever and the same stylus. All are priced similarly and all seem to be based on the Audio Technica AT95EX.
    GrahamS

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering D-350, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s and My Ears.

I'm Steve.

Hi Graham,

As Far as I was aware the at95ex is a slightly modified version of the at95e, it was modified and supplied with the Audio Technica At-lp5 turntable and sounds very good indeed considering the price.

Steve
    Project 2experience sb dc
    Cartidge: At33ptg
    Rega Brio: 2017
    CD Player: Cyrus cd8se
    Dynaudio Emit M20
    Audioquest rca - xt40 speaker cable.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Graham,

As Far as I was aware the at95ex is a slightly modified version of the at95e, it was modified and supplied with the Audio Technica At-lp5 turntable and sounds very good indeed considering the price.

Steve
    The only difference in the published specifications is that the AT95E has a .04 x.07 mil stylus and the AT95EX has a .03 x .07 mil stylus. If there are any internal differences they are not specified.
    GrahamS

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering D-350, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s and My Ears.

I'm Grant.

Used to have a shibata on my at95. Sounded great
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm GettingFunky.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    The only difference in the published specifications is that the AT95E has a .04 x.07 mil stylus and the AT95EX has a .03 x .07 mil stylus. If there are any internal differences they are not specified.
    That and a 2kHz increase on the top end frequency response.
    Contemplating life, the universe and use of HiFi forums.

Life is too short to worry about the opinion of others.

I'm Dazz.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    That changed. Recent AT95E comes with the same 0.3x0.7 stylus.

I have fitted the LPGear Vivid Line stylus to an AT95E and think the result is simply outstanding. Lifts the AT95 into the big leagues.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Used to have a shibata on my at95. Sounded great
    Yes ,you did , and you sold it

Still great!!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Steve.

Must admit, I keep gravitating back to Audio Technica cartridges. I am using an AT33 PLGIII at the moment though I will be moving back to an OC9 ml3 when funds allow. I have owned two and three grand cartridges in the past and they didn't make me smile the way the Audio Technica's do. The only thing that came close was a Denon 103. Some of the early Linn cartridges were re-badged Audio Technica's I believe? Just my view guys, don't shoot me for it.
    WEBSITE.... www.theprogmeister.com

Golf, a good walk spoiled : M Twain.

I'm GettingFunky.

Do you mean the PTG/II?
    It is one of my favourites. The AT95SA I have is rather good as well. They just seem to
    Do things well, for a reasonable cost.
    I have got rid of the plastic housing and have it in a wooden body. I mean to fit an aluminium body to it at one point.

I also have a heavily modified DL103 (boron canti and shibata tip) that ticks all of the right boxes.

Oh, why do you prefer the OC9?
    Contemplating life, the universe and use of HiFi forums.

Life is too short to worry about the opinion of others.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by garrard View Post
    That changed. Recent AT95E comes with the same 0.3x0.7 stylus.
    The AT95E has been discontinued and is no longer listed on the AT website. The AT95EX has replaced it with a .03x.07 stylus.
    GrahamS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast